This time last year we reorganised the database to group all 'non-core' products into the Gear theme.
I am now considering the following changes to the items that Brickset records in the database:
- I want to remove virtually all products that do not contain regular bricks, such as bedding, clothes, bags, books, DVDs, video games, pens, clocks, watches, stationery and so on.
- I want to remove all product collections that existed only as line items at shop.LEGO.com (i.e. items in this list after 78800) as opposed to those that had special packaging (the remainder of that list)
- I want to reserve the right not to include licenced products that contain bricks (e.g. Nintendo DS covers, LEGO annuals, Muji sets, Moleskine books etc.)
My rationale for these changes are
- To improve the overall quality, accuracy and completeness of the database. If its scope is reduced it will be easier to maintain a high quality of information.
- The products listed above are generally of little interest to LEGO collectors and to some extent they 'clutter up' the database and consequently the search results. You may well own some of them but you probably don't really collect them.
- There are so many LEGO-licenced products nowadays that it is impossible to keep track of them all and record information about them accurately.
Books/DVDs that come with bricks, keychains, magnets, coin banks, idea books etc. will of course remain in the database and I will strive to improve our coverage of them.
We are discussing this in the forum and I welcome your comments either here or in the forum if you feel strongly about this.
Commenting has ended on this article.