Thank you everyone for your feedback. There has been an overwhelming amount both as comments to yesterday's article, in the forum and via the feedback form. There have been over 400 responses via the form which is fantastic, although I have to admit I haven't read much of it yet. I've knocked up a quick and dirty page to enable you to view it yourself if you're interested (without names, of course).
It's because you're all so passionate about Brickset that you've taken the time to tell me what you think, and I appreciate that. I am committed to the change, but I am also committed to ensuring that you, the user, are happy with it before it goes live.. However, it won't be possible to please everyone and for that I apologise.
There seem to be a few common themes among the most vocal of those that don't like it much and they are:
- Everything's too big on my desktop
- I don't like the fonts
- I miss the 'new in the database/at shop.LEGO.com' on the home page
- When viewing set lists, not many fit on the page because the images are too big
So, here's what I'm going to do about these points:
- The overall design will remain as it is. It is bigger, there is more white space, but in my opinion, as a result, you can read it much more easily, which you can really appreciate if you go back and read this article on the old site: the text looks tiny!
- The font used for headings and hyperlinks, Arvo, is a nice-enough font, and on high-resolution phones and tablets it renders very well indeed and looks great. However on desktops which are comparatively lower in resolution, particularly PCs, some letters looks awful: lower case s and w in particular, and the 34pt used for headings of news articles was also bad. I've now reduced that to 28pt and it does look better although a little on the small side compared to the rest of the design. I'm going to work with the designer on a solution to this, which will probably be to use another font. If you are a designer and have any opinions on this, get in touch by email. The body font, noto-sans looks good on all devices, and will remain.
- It looks as if I'm going to find a way to add new in the database/at shop.LEGO.com back somehow. The information is in the sidebar and there are links at the end of the window to this information, but that doesn't seem to be enough for many of you!
- I'm going to provide a fourth view, to go along with the list view, gallery view and table view when viewing set lists which will be 'classic view' and I'll try and replicate the list view on the current site as closely as possible.
Do keep your comments coming. I have thick skin, I can take it... :)
Commenting has ended on this article.