Brickset news archive: October 2008
There's some good pictures in lego-adam's gallery. It looks to me as if they are running out of ideas...
Update: I've added them all to Brickset, you can see them here.
Brickset user szww tells us that the coast guard boat 4898 is available in Poland with kids' magazine 'Swiat Przygod z Hugo', so if you're in Poland go and grab yourself a copy!
I'm sure everyone not in the UK will be pleased to see we won't be posting news articles every day about it any more :-) It has been a lot of fun reading all the comments received.
You can view them all easily here on our sets released in 2009 page
4938 - Fire 4x4
This set was previously available from Quick fast food restaurants in continental Europe, Sept. 2007. Our picture is from that promotion.
A racing car!
From 2007, this set was one of three included with the Sep-Oct 2007 BrickMaster magazine. It was also available from C1000 stores in the Netherlands with biscuit purchases.
7604 - Creator Triceratops
This set, from 2006, was available from C1000 stores in the Netherlands with cookie purchases.
4992 - Fireboat. This set was previously available from Quick fast food restaurants in 2007 throughout continental Europe, and was one of two sets included with Nov-Dec 2007 BrickMaster magazine.
The Coastguard platform, Agents Mission 7 and the Republic Fighter Tank are now available from LEGOshop.com in the USA. Check the list of sets added in the last two weeks to see and buy!
Mini digger, 5627. The paper's a bit more expensive today, at 95p.
I forgot to mention yesterday that if you're in Scotland the offer is available with the Daily Record.
Today's free set with the Daily Mirror (65p) is 4991 Police Helicopter.
The other sets will be available as follows:
- Sat 18th: 4991 - Police Helicopter
- Sun 19th: 5627 - Mini Digger
- Mon 20th: 4992 - Fireboat
- Tue 21st: 7872 - Creator Lion
- Wed 22nd: 5626 - Coastguard Bike
- Thu 23rd: 7604 - Creator Triceratops
- Fri 24th: 7452 - Green Racers mini car
- Sat 25th: 4938 - Fire 4*4
- Sun 26th: 7873 - Jet Plane
- Mon 27th: 7797 - Biplane
- Tue 28th: 7611 - Racers police car
- Wed 29th: 7871 - Creator Whale
- Thu 30th: Carry case
- Fri 31st: Stickers
If you want more than one of each, stagger your trips to the till (or use both ELC and Woolies) as the coupon states 'one free LEGO item per reader' so they might get shirty if you pitch up with 10 coupons :-)
You need just 7 tokens (+ £6.50) to claim all 14 items by post, so if you buy a paper each day for the next fortnight you'll be able to get 2 sets.
Oh, and while you're in Woolies check out the LEGO aisle today and tomorrow because it's 3 for 2 on all toys! That might make the cost of the overpriced Clone Wars sets more palatable.
Thanks to AVCampos for alerting us to this website which has small but clear pictures of many of next year's sets including Power Miners, Pirates and City Farm. There's a couple of Pirate impuse sets which I don't think we've seen pictures of before here and here. Let us know if you find anything else interesting if you can be bothered to wade through the site's poor navigation.
mastermind emailed us to say that from Saturday, the Daily Mirror will be giving away 12 LEGO sets!
He has no more details but I suspect they'll be polybag sets, and will probably be a different one a day for 12 days.
If you're in the UK, be sure to get down to your newsagent and check it out. I wouldn't bother actually reading the newspaper though :-)
Update: there's a bit more information on the Mirror website:
"Starting on Saturday 18th October we're giving away 12 brilliant LEGO toys FREE with the Daily Mirror and Sunday Mirror. It all starts with a police helicopter on Saturday and then pick up another great item every day!
"LEGO is Britain's favourite toy and this collection is perfect for Christmas. We'll also be giving you a carry case, playmat and LEGO stickers too. You'll be able to pick up the toys each day from Woolworths and Early Learning Centre stores or apply by post and get the whole set before Christmas. See the paper for full details."
Update: thanks to billding for finding this page on the Mirror website which shows the following 12 sets:
- 4991 - Police Helicopter
- 5627 - Mini Digger
- 4992 - Fireboat
- 7872 - Creator Lion
- 5626 - Coastguard Bike
- 7604 - Creator Triceratops
- 7452 - Green Racers mini car
- 4938 - Fire 4*4
- 7873 - Jet Plane
- 7797 - Biplane
- 7611 - Racers police car
- 7871 - Creator Whale
Not bad for free!
For the first time in several years, a Belville set has been spotted at U.S. retail! The only confirmed sighting so far is of 7583 Playful Puppy, and that has only been seen at Toys"R"Us. The Toys"R"Us website has three sets listed; the aforementioned 7583 Playful Puppy, 7585 Horse Stable, and 7587 Horse Jumping. This could mean that LEGO is trying again to reach the girls market in the United States. Will they be successful? Only time will tell.
There has been a lot of discussion about this year's store exclusive sets, particularly Star Wars 7679 Republic Fighter Tank. To help clear up any confusion, we are listing below all exclusives released in the U.S. this year and where you can find them, and we will also be sure to inform all Brickset users as soon as the four upcoming Target exclusives have been released at LEGO S@H. Please note that all sets listed below are also available from the official LEGO site, subject to availability of course.
- City 4210 Coast Guard Platform
- Star Wars 7679 Republic Fighter Tank
- Agents 8636 Mission 7: Deep Sea Quest
- BIONICLE 8942 Jetrax T6 (yellow)
- SpongeBob SquarePants 3832 The Emergency Room
- Castle 7041 Troll Battle Wheel
- Indiana Jones 7628 Peril In Peru
- Mars Mission 7649 MT-201 Ultra-Drill Walker
- Star Wars 7680 The Twilight
- Star Wars 7681 Separatist Spider Droid
- City 7731 Mail Van
- City 7732 Air Mail
- City 7733 Truck & Forklift
- City 7734 Cargo Plane
- Agents 8638 Mission 8: Volcano Base
- BIONICLE 8953 Makuta Icarax
- Star Wars 7678 Droid Gunship
- BIONICLE 8952 Mutran and Vican
- BIONICLE 8954 Mazeka
Today, at the Great Western LEGO show at the STEAM museum in Swindon, Jan and Tormod from LEGO revealed a new Castle set for 2009!
It looks excellent -- lots of interesting features, great colours, cows, fish, the return of the Scala roast turkey body and so on!
LEGO's description reads as follows:
This classic medieval village with marketplace is a perfect match for any LEGO Castle. Full of authentic features, fun accessories and all-new animals to expand and enhance your kingdom; it includes two complete buildings with detailed interiors like a blacksmith's shop with waterwheel-driven hammer, a food stand, tree, table, cart, cows, horse, chicken, rooster, duck, peasants, knights, rare elements and colors, and more!
- Includes 8 minifigures: blacksmith, 2 soldiers, 2 male peasants, 2 female peasants and a boy minifigure!
- Play inside! The 2 two-story buildings feature a hinge system that allows you to open and close them as you wish!
- The yellow building contains the stables, blacksmiths shop and his home upstairs! Help the blacksmith forge the swords with the working water powered trip hammer! Don't forget to close the stable gates and feed the horse some carrots!
- Blacksmith's home features pictures on the walls, opening windows, table and fireplace!
- The classically European styled blue building features a cozy tavern on the first floor and welcoming bedroom on the top floor!
- Lots of authentic touches: fireplaces in the bedrooms, pictures on the walls, dressing tables, working doors and windows and other interior details!
- The soldiers and peasants alike shop and eat in the marketplace filled with baskets of fish, apples and flowers. Sit at the table for a meal of ale, cheese and whole turkey but stay out of the way of the soldiers carrying the king's treasure!
- Buildings measure over 7.5" tall and over 9" long when open wide!
It's perhaps a little pricey at £85 in the UK, but judging from the reaction on Saturday, it's sure to be a hit.
There are more pictures at Brothers Brick.