• Emerald Night

Friends will be green with envy!

Written by (AFOL , bronze-rated reviewer) in United States,

I initially bought this set just so i could improve the new Hogwarts express which i found to be extremely disappointing. However once built i decided to kept it as it is, as it is a beautifully detailed model and by far the best train set lego has released

Figures

Frankly, I'm a bit disappointed that the set only comes with three figures - and they're not all that unique to boot. Only one of the three features printing on the torso. However, the Engineer looks like my father in law when he's grumpy (which isn't often) which is funny, because he LOVES trains.

A note: While he may be intended for your airport, your 7567 Traveller will look right at home on board. I'm sure you can find even more appropriate figures, or build your own. It's LEGO, after all.

Accessories

There are a few accessories to mention, although once again - in relation to the 1085 pieces, the four accessories seem a pittance.

Suitcase (black) - although I'm amazed to see her luggage doesn't match!

Wow. I mean WOW! The dark green pieces (of which there are a great many) are beautiful to behold - especially the 2x4x2/3 slope bricks decorated with a gold stripe at either end. (18 in all!) The only complaint I might have is the variation in the saturation of the green pieces - some are very dark and others lighter. I don't know if this is normal for the dark green color, but overall it doesn't effect the look of the set unless you inspect thoroughly. Add a heaping helping of other pieces in rare/sought-after colors like reddish-brown, tan and dark brown, as well as a bunch of pearl gold 1x1 round plates and a set of two metallic silver 1x1 round plates (you even get an extra of each one!) and this box overflows with awesomeness. The parts are rounded out by a lot of black, dark bluish gray and light bluish gray pieces.

Specialty train pieces like the bogie plates, wheels, wheel housings, and magnetic bumpers also add to the value. All in all, 9 bags house the parts. Yes, nine. Eight of them are separated into the modularity of the build, and one houses all the specialty train parts.

Build

Wow again! I mean double WOW! This build is INTRICATE! Of the bags in the box, most of them are used to build the engine (five in all, each marked with the number 1, to be exact) - and a delightful build it is! A lot of nice parts usage, SNOT techniques (especially around the boiler housing) and cool even/odd stud offsets really inspire the builder. The engine is built to be modular, able to easily accommodate the addition of a power source. I was surprised at first that it didn't include power functions, but realize it would have increased the cost dramatically. It could use the addition of some track, though, otherwise it just looks odd sitting there on a table.

The tender, the car behind the engine that houses the coal used to fuel the boiler, is a quick breath of fresh air in the middle of the build. Comprised of only one bag (marked with a 2), it goes together in a snap, comparatively, and compliments the engine nicely.

The passenger carriage, comprised of two bags marked with the number 3, is somewhere in between the two other builds - not as simplistic as the tender, but not nearly as complicated as the engine. Designed with the passenger walkway on one side and two tables with two chairs each on the other side, it looks to be a bar car. Woo! Party on the Emerald Night! There are stickers available with the words 'First', 'Second' and 'Third' to affix to the doors of the car. I guess the idea here is that you can buy/scrounge the parts to build more passenger cars, though I would assume such an endeavor would be costly. It's too bad there aren't service packs available for purchase to allow you to add more cars - especially if they provided enough parts to determine what kind of car you wanted to add, akin to the Santa Fe Car sets. I'm a little confused by the use of dark blue 2x2 round bricks as support for the tables and standard blue for the minifigure seats - it would have added another rare color if the seats were also dark blue.

Special Features

The engine is set up with gearing to make the wheels turn by merely dropping a PF motor into the boiler compartment (with some structural modifications, detailed at the end of the first instruction booklet). The piston movement of the actuator arms attached to the main wheels is cool, although the technic bars used blend in to the rest of the black pieces that surround them, so it's not very noticeable.

The engine also features an intricately detailed backhead/firebox (into which the engineer shovels the coal) featuring an opening door and even a plume of flame. This can be removed relatively easily (as it's only held in by a technic rod and a clever hinge plate "lock") to be admired. It also needs to be removed completely in order to allow room for a Power Functions motor.

The passenger car features a removable roof for easy access as well as four hinged doors, one at each corner of the car.

Conclusion

• Emerald Night

One of the best trains ever!

Written by (AFOL) in United States,

I bought this set last July from TLG's online shop. At first I didn't want this set (mainly because I thought the black elements on both the left and right of the front of the train that stick out were ugly)... Boy was I sure glad I bought this set!

Emerald Night provides some pretty advanced building techniques. While many trains have you start out with a baseplate to build the train on; Emerald Night is build entirely out of individual elements! For about the first 25 instructions, I had no idea how what I was building was ever going to turn into a train!

As I mentioned, this set features some pretty challenging building techniques (even to a builder of 10 years!). Some components within the train are very fragile, so this isn't a set for a young child.

One of the things that I found special when building this set was how the instructions had you use eight (or so) 2x4 elements to act as supports while building the train. This (to me) was a unique touch to the set!

Overall this train is just INCREDIBLE. Despite the fact that you'd need to buy power functions to make the train actually move, this set is well worth $99, and will provide you with a good amount of building time!

WHAT A BUILD!

Written by (AFOL , bronze-rated reviewer) in Canada,

For this beautiful set, I had budgeted a fair bit of time. The detail and small pieces that I saw on the box had me feeling that I was in for a building workout. Within an hour and a half, I was done.

This is a marvelous set with a great-looking finished product! This build was great. I did feel bad for burying really nice (mainly dark green) pieces within the belly of this beast, never to be seen again, but I know it was all worth it. Here's a quick breakdown of my experience:

The Engine:

This was a lot of fun to put together. I wasn't sure which part of the engine I was building for the first few pages, but as it took shape I could see where I was headed. I had not expected to build a couple of stabalizing pieces that were just used for the initial build, but I was impressed when I realized what they were for. The wheels went together nicely and, for all the issues I've heard they may cause, they look as though they're working fine so far. The finished look of the engine is sleek and classy. Biggest surprise: the front and back wheels which are held to the train by one pin. ONE PIN! I had seen this train run before and now I know why it drives the way it does... ONE PIN!

The Tender:

This was a quick build. It is a very simple design with a basic structure. I went together well with no big surprises. Has a sleeker than expected look about it once done which completments the engine very well.

The Dining Car:

Could not look nicer when done! Again, this went together really easily and somewhat predictably. With a removable roof for access into the interior, the inside design has room enough for six (4 sit, 2 stand) and some nice pieces to boot!

I had a feeling that had I not picked up this set I would've regretted it down the road. After building it, I am VERY glad that I splurged and bought it. It is a nice addition to ANY collection, regardless if you're a train fan or not.

• Emerald Night

You'll be GREEN with envy if you don't get it...

Written by (AFOL , gold-rated reviewer) in United States,

Yeah, I know, that was a bad one.

Anyway, on to the review. This is by far the largest LEGO set (in terms of sheer parts count) that I've ever owned. I probably wouldn't have ever considered purchasing it for myself, or asking for it as a gift, but it just so happened I won it by taking second place in the Eurobricks Lego Digital Designer Challenge (shameless self promotion aside) and you don't look a gift iron horse in the mouth! (That pun was better, right?)

You know those huge boxes that have a lot of air in them, where the individual bags shift around inside when you tip it back and forth? This is NOT one of those boxes. Oh, it's a relatively huge box, but nothing inside shifts around - it's packed to the gills with 1085 pieces!

Figures

• Engineer - With the most unique head of the three figures, this one is very cool. Though the torso is plain, it doesn't really bother me as much because of the red bandana accessory, but I'm getting ahead of myself. His black hat (akin to those worn during the American Civil War) is a rather unique piece as well.
    • Passenger - The tan ponytail hairpiece is the most notable of her features. Other than that, she's pretty standard fare.
    • Conductor - The only figure to feature torso printing (with the LEGO Train logo emblazoned upon a smart blue jacket), the Conductor is ready to punch your ticket.

Accessories

• Shovel - no Engineer is complete without his shovel... unless, I guess, the train he's driving doesn't run on coal.
    • Bandana - the Engineer needs something to keep that coal exhaust out of his lungs. Here he wears a bandana in order to avoid black lung (or at least delay it).
    • Suitcase (brown) - our passenger has enough luggage for a month's stay, even though she's just out of town for the weekend! (I'm married - I know how these things go.)
    • Suitcase (black) - although I'm amazed to see her luggage doesn't match!

Build

Special Features

Conclusion

As someone who is not generally a train enthusiast - LEGO or otherwise - I hadn't given this set much thought in the past. Now that I own and have built it, however, I never want to part with it. Even if I mix the abundant pieces into my "general populace" and spread them around into MOCs in the future, I will cherish the value and rarity of the pieces, as well as the sense of accomplishment I get from knowing that I won such a treasure in heated competition.

If you ARE a train enthusiast and do not yet own this set - you're missing out. I'm sure this set will add a great deal of detail and prestige to any train layout.

Very realistic

Written by (Unspecified) in United Kingdom,

This set is absoulutley amazing it has every thing a steam train should have a carriage with people serving you a passenger and even a dusty driver the engine is beautifully built and stays together if you have £70 laying around get online and order yourself one of these awsomme models an extra bonus is its got brand new wheels with 4 differnt types of wheels in all not just 4 wheels 4 different types! it has the amazing emerald pieces and tan windows at long last! great for train fans!