Great display

Written by (AFOL) in France,

Got this set for about 115 €, without the minifigs.

Too many to remember it all. Most of them are small pieces used for detailing, but it comes with many pillars, an unusually high number of bricks with grove, many prison pieces, tons of weapon, including a very decent amount of spares ones (one claw, 2 handcuffs, 2 axes, and 4(!) saïs) and even a spare rope.

The build

Very nice build with lots of creative use of bricks, especially for making windows. The stained window is very cool.

The completed model

The amount of details is impressive, both indoor and outdoor, though the sides are slightly less good than the rest. The alternative build where you put the different section in a L shape is less good, it doesn't show all the details of the facade as good as the primary design, and makes it harder to play inside.

The model surprisingly doesn't take that much space, considering the pieces count, but unlike models which are large, but with only a few interesting sections and a lot of filler (seems to be the case with some castles), there's really no waste of space in this set, there's a lot going on everywhere, it is a good display, and even the interior would display good as well.

On the minus side, playability isn't very high, if you consider how much it costs. Of course it comes with batman, robin, and 4/5 baddies which adds a lot to the playability. It also has a truck, but other than that, there isn't a lot of interaction possible, other than opening some doors, it doesn't have any really cool function.

Also, a price of 160 or 170€ seems a bit high, considering the final model isn't really bigger than any of the other flagship sets I possess, despite being the only one worth more than 100€. For 115€ I think it was a decent deal, although I got no minifigs, but I was more interesting in the details, and it doesn't need minifigs to look awesome. Moreover there isn't much space on the facade to display minifigs, so they would mostly be hidden inside.

• Batman: Arkham Asylum Breakout

This review has been lost

Written by (AFOL , gold-rated reviewer) in Canada,

Set #10937 Batman: Arkham Asylum Breakout: So yeah, three hours typing up a review for this. Sorry folks, the site acted screwy, ate my review so I'm posting this abridged version.

Overall opinion

I highly recommend this set, it's a great build with enjoyable mini-figures who are mostly unique to this set and the build and design is just breathtaking. You can't go wrong with it.

I also suggest that perhaps the site should consider re-incorporating a review save feature that would allow us to save reviews for sets like this, which require lengthy stretches of time to type so that if some glitch happens and something goes wrong we can retrieve our hard work without having to re-type everything which we'll never be able to do again anyway because remembering exactly how you phrased everything is often difficult or impossible.

I will attempt to edit this temporary version with a much more detailed version to replace it in the very near future when I don't have mountains upon mountains of homework that I really need to get started on before next weekend's due date.

An Excellent Redesign!

Written by (KFOL) in United States,

When I saw this on the lego shop site a couple of years ago, I could barely resist it. It was just amazing and I knew it was important to pick it up. I eventually got it for Christmas with the Batcave, which made twice as awesome.

Box/Instructions

The box is huge (maybe even bigger then the one for the new tumbler) and it includes 3 instruction booklets.

The parts were chosen really well for this and mostly includes many small pieces for the decorational architecture.

Minifigures

The minifigures are great! I love the redesign for Penguin, Scarecrow, and Robin. Dr. Harleen Quinzel has a pretty nice design with her double-sided head, one side of which features her makeup and eye mask. Poison Ivy isn't any different from the 2012 version and the guard is the same as the bank guard. Batman has the same black suit but with black gliding wings.

The build

It's a fun build. First you build the van, then you build the gate, and finally the asylum. The Asylum is split into three detachable sections so you can rearrange it into a different asylum. First you build the entrance where the front desk and medical treatment room are, then you build the side with all the prison cells, and then finally you build the smallest section where Harleen Quinzel's office and make-up mirror are. I think it took me about 2 to 6 hours to complete. I remember starting late at night and building back and forth while playing scrabble, and then working on it the next morning and maybe late afternoon.

The completed model

The completed model looks fantastic.

Issues

1. Why are there name plates for Freeze and Ivy for the bottom cells when the have their own special ones

2. Only one guard and he is the exact same as the bank guard.

3. No searchlight on roof.

4.And my biggest issue, NO FIREFLY INCLUDED!!

My overall opinion

Its a really nice set and a must-have for any Bat-fan! (even if Firefly isn't included) And I rank this #1 on the Best DC Comics Sets list.

A must have Batman set!

Written by (TFOL) in Belgium,

First of all, this is my first review.

I'm not so much into the DC universe (apart for Batman and his foes) since I think Marvel has way cooler Super Heroes but I was really excited about this set when I saw it because of all the villains and the look of it.

Minifigs 4/5

I'm just going to talk about 4 things here:

1) The Harleen Quinzel fig is really well done. You get a dual-sided face (Doctor/Harley Quinn face) and on her torso, beneath her white coat, you can see a hint of her Harley Quinn red & black costume.

2) Robin has a hoodie and (I didn't notice on pictures before) a short cape.

3) [Frustration] Instead of a random guard, why not include a new minifig like Aaron Cash (the guard who got one hand bitten off by Killer Croc), this would have been very cool.

4) [Frustration] Why put a special cold room for Freezer if you don't include him in the box, this means that if you want to have the right character in that specific room, you need to also get the set 76000.

Building experience 5/5

I built the set yesterday, it took me about 3h45'. It came in 9 bags, building first the van, then the portal, then the asylum itself which is divided in three parts: the entrance, the cells and the Harley Quinn's make-up room (Those three parts can be attached in two different way making the frontage be only one-sided or in a L-form). It didn't feel repetitive except for the window and details (which were little parts, quite painful for my fingers). There's wasn't too much stickers for the size of it (note: the "Arkham Asylum" sign is actually two stickers).

Overall 5/5

This set is a must have because it's simply the largest set ever released under the Super Heroes category, because it has 5 villains included and because of the awesome look of it (as said in the official video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_VgtqS6cCY, it's the first time we see a gothic-styled building in a Lego product). This Arkham Asylum is very well designed, I recommend buying it for any Lego Super Heroes fan or if you like dark buildings like the [10228 Haunted House].

• Batman: Arkham Asylum Breakout

One of the best sets I've built!

Written by (AFOL) in United States,

I picked this set up just after Christmas and could not be more impressed. The details on the Arkham Asylum just don't end. The building itself looks every bit as gothic and creepy as you would want it to, from the tips of the roof spires to the gargoyles overlooking the the corners. The gate and ambulance look great next to the building as well.

The figure assortment is excellent, with the orange jumpsuit Joker and Harley Quinn in disguise fitting in nicely. I also liked the decision to include extra features to integrate villains from other sets into the Asylum. There's a holding chamber and prison plaque for Mr. Freeze as well as a Two-Face plaque.

The stickers won't ever be anyone's favorite feature but there aren't too many and they do add nicely to the set. The instructions were very clear and, as always, the bags of parts were sorted very well with plenty of extra small bits. At $160 this isn't a cheap set, but it does come in at about #27 on the all-time largest Lego set list, and for what you get I don't feel it's terribly overpriced.

Overall, this is fun set to build and you won't regret having it look spectacular on your shelf!