Cute little addition

Written by (TFOL , silver-rated reviewer) in United States,

I got  this set from Toys R' Us because it was a poly bag set and I hadn't built a Lego in a long time. I picked it up for about $5.50, which is all right. The building was quick, easy, but somewhat boring. I like the fireman helmet and the minifig's head, the other parts are pretty common. This set doesn't have much play ability as itself, but when combined with other sets, such as the Fire Hovercraft, can be used in a much broader variety of ways. The hose and engine function give more play ability, though. One con I saw the moment after I finished was a design flaw; there is too much weight on the back and it tilts backwards. I think this was intended, but it's a little annoying if you have an OCD with this type of thing. All in all, this is a great set to buy if you find it, and I do recommend it.

1 out of 1 person thought this review was helpful.

• Fire Speedboat

Good little boat, but with a strange design choice.

Written by (AFOL) in Canada,

If you're a polybag nut, then you're going to almost love this. If you're lukewarm about polybags, there's not much I can do to sway you, and you may even want to pass on it. While this boat is good, it's not quite great.

It looks nice, and comes with one of the new style fire fighters. As well, it's a cheap source of minifigure heads with brown goatees.

I feel it could have benefited from having a blue wave piece for the water cannon at the front. But that's something I could add myself easily enough.

What strikes me as strange, and keeps this set from getting a 5 is a design and part choice. The underside of the speedboat's forked hull is made with two 6 x 1 inverted slopes. These don't blend into the main body of the boat. There is a pair of large blunt protrusions from the hull that take the speed out of a speedboat. A much better choice would have been left and right inverted 6 x 2 wedges. I'm not sure why this was not done. I'm going to have to change it myself, because it bothers me otherwise.

Pros

• A nice little boat to add to your Fire Service.
    • A cheap source of minifig heads with brown goatees.

Cons

• Two 6 x 1 inverted curved slopes were used, where left and right inverted 6 x 2 wedges would have been better.
    • Could have come with a blue wave piece for the water cannon on the front.

Depending on your feelings about polybags, this while good, is a take-it-or-leave it set. With a simple part choice change, this would have been a much better set. I'm still glad I have it, and would recommend it.

1 out of 1 person thought this review was helpful.

• Fire Speedboat

Rescue Craft at LEGO City HARBOUR

Written by (AFOL , gold-rated reviewer) in Canada,

Set #30220 Fire Speedboat: This is a fun little Polybag set that has been released this year, TRU in canada had a spend 30$ on LEGO City sets get this for free. Unfortunately I had to get it after the promotion so it was standard polybag prices, but they had so few left over I'm glad I snagged it when I did.

The Speedboat in this set is a fun little model, with 40 pieces in total the model manages to represent a small one-man rescue speedboat pretty effectively. It doesn't float, but it does have some nice assortment of colors, mostly red and medium stone gray, but a bit of white and yellow thrown in to the mix. I especially like the clever assortment of pieces used in constructing the outboard motor and the small water cannon on the front of the vessel. All around this model is fun, simple looking and conveys the look LEGO was aiming at nicely.

The Mini-Figure isn't new, we've seen this Firefighter in loads of other sets the past few years, he's wearing an orange emergency vest with green stripe, there's a walkie talkie or similar communications device attached to his belt, and the torso is double-sided printing with the little fire logo on the back of the emergecny vest. He's got leg printing, the new maroon colored fire hat and the facial print features a small goatee around a tooth filled smile. Accessory-wise he's wearing the new life preserver, which is an ok piece, but it doesn't sit right on LEGO Mini-Figure torsos as others have noted before.

Overall this polybag set is worth tracking down, and if you wanted a small number of speedboats to assist your larger sized Fire Boats then picking up a few extra isn't a bad idea. Recommended to fans of LEGO Polybags, LEGO City and fun playable models.