Great Gift

Written by (TFOL) in United States,

I received this set as a gift from my friend at my 10th birthday party.  When I looked at the box, I thought that it was going to be not that fun.  But when I opened it and built it, my opinion changed.

0 out of 1 person thought this review was helpful.

• Seaplane

Excellent small plane set and great beginner's set for those new to Lego

Written by (Parent , bronze-rated reviewer) in United States,

I purchased this set in July of 2011 for my young son, whom, I felt was ready to begin building and playing with Legos. Having grown up on Legos myself, I knew that he would get hooked on the concept and that he and I would enjoy something simple like this. What I didn't expect was how well made this model is and how fanatical my son and I would become about acquiring new Lego sets.

Pros

• Scale/Aesthetics. This is the perfect sized set to represent a private airplane. Although it may be on the small side to be a twin-engine craft, the decision by Lego to make it so by no means hinders the appearance or functionality of the set. The choice to also go with a seaplane theme is outstanding, as there are few examples of such in the Lego catalog and it serves as a nice bridge between the water and airport subgroups within the City theme. The bright yellow color scheme, although unrealistic, works brilliantly with this set as the aircraft is not too big where the color becomes too garish.
    • Building experience/Assembly. Although the airplane and accessories go together quickly, it is an entertaining build, nonetheless, as you get to see the airplane grow out of simple angular pieces and a pair of wings. Everything is pieced in a practical manner that allows for quick rebuilding in the event of a "crash," which is a plus in my book, given that my son doesn't have to run to find the instruction manual to put it back together.
    • Playability. Once constructed, this set is actually very fun to mess around with. The luggage doors on the airplane are both a brilliant addition and a window to many possibilities (is it a business plane, a life flight, or just a weekend getaway machine?). The wind sock and fuel tank just add to imagination and serve as the gears that keep a running storyline going when you're in full play-mode.

Cons

• I have yet to find anything wrong with this set. The stickers are few in number and the plane works just fine without them (I did not put the stickers on right away, waiting to find out how my son treated his Legos, but have since applied them and they add a nice, subtle touch to the model).

Given the size and the relative ease of assembly, this is a great beginner's set, especially if you have an airplane enthusiast at home. Also, having been well-designed to mimic a real aircraft, it is a model that "matures" with the builder and looks serious enough even for older Lego builders to appreciate it.

• Seaplane

Too Fragile But Pretty Good!

Written by (KFOL , silver-rated reviewer) in Singapore,

Welcome Brickfans to BrickTVReviews. Today's set is 3178 Seaplane with 1 minifigure. It is from LEGO City and costs 10-14$. Let's move on to the review!

Box/Instructions

The box is simply designed depicting the plane ready to takeoff from the water and the included fuel island in the background. The back includes 4 more snapshots of the plane and of course, the HEY! which appeared on every LEGO City commercials . There are 2 instruction booklets which is uncommon in a 10$ set. 1 booklet for the fuel island and 1 for the seaplane.

Not much to say, you don't get any "special" parts from this set.

Minifigures

The minifigure, strangely, is a business man with a briefcase and is quiet boring. But, this set introduces the new CURVED hat piece which is cool!

The build

The build? It is boring except for the beginners. p.s, you might need to be carefull when you are assembling the back part and the pontoons below.

The completed model

The completed plane supports a yellow and white colour scheme. It is rather fragile because when you throw it but your hand is still holding it, it will break up anyway.....and the fuel island has a windsock and an oil drum.

Summary

This is a really cool set that FLOATS even though LEGO doesn't say that on the box. It is a great addition to anyone's harbour, lake or airport with a lake/river nearby. I give it a 8/10.BrickTVReviews signing off and have a nice day.^_^

• Seaplane

3178 Seaplane - Nothing is better than a truly inventive yet elegantly simple build.

Written by (AFOL , silver-rated reviewer) in United States,

I was in a Kmart today that had these marked down to $6.99 - so I bought both that they had. Frankly, I didn't expect much from this set because it is both very small and very cheap for an airplane. I was very pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed the vibrant color of this plane and was impressed at how well it really does resemble a float plane. Furthermore, some of the uses of common parts struck me as innovative (well, I never would have thought to use them like that anyway). As an example take the use of the black 1x2x2 window frames to build the small storage area behind the cockpit. Also, the use of the 1x2x3 doors without framing in the rears of them turned out to be very cool. If I was attempting to design a kit like this I likely would have mucked it up by insisting on framing the doors completely. In short, this is a very well build and creative set that I am very pleased to own.

Pros

• Incredibly well designed.
    • Very attractive.
    • Priced well at $10.99 US.

Cons

• This isn't really a con, but rather just an observation: when Lego puts out a set this strong that enjoys pretty wide spread popularity it would be cool if they offered the same design in different colors. I'd like to own, say, three of these in different colors. Another set this idea would work very well for is the 8402 Sports Car.

Anybody remember Northern Exposure? I'd love to build this plane in red, put a short haired female minifigure in a plaid shirt in the cockpit and pretend it was Maggie O'Connell delivering emergency bagels to Dr. Flieshman. This set is a winner. Go grab one or two. You won't be sorry.

• Seaplane

If every set could be as amazing as this set, I would own them all

Written by (TFOL , bronze-rated reviewer) in United States,

This is easily in my top 3 favorite City sets. It is so cheap for a plane and it has a lot of rarely colored pieces. The plane looks so good when it is complete and it becomes a centerpiece on any shelf (if not placed next to a huge set). I had been waiting for Lego to release something like that for a while and they released it and  it looked better than I had imagined. This is overall one of the better sets. Good job Lego.