• Tank Truck

Another beautiful offering from the geniuses at Lego

Written by (AFOL , bronze-rated reviewer) in United States,

Like many others who have commented on this site, I am really loving the direction Lego has taken toward their city vehicles in the last half-decade, especially the trucks and cars. Where, before, most of Lego's vehicles were tiny, clown-car like submissions that did not represent anything close to a realistic vehicle, the new six-wide offerings are both appealing and a very much needed step towards bringing a touch of realism to any City collection. This Tank Truck is no exception and is a gorgeous and very functional set, too.

Pros

• Color Scheme/Aesthetics. The strong green, red, and white colors make the vehicle a very striking piece that really stands out on its own. Although the tractor cab is very similar in build to other trucks in the City line, it is nonetheless a well-assembled, appealing truck.

Cons

• This is a more of a personal thing than any real problem with the set, but the connector used to attach the trailer to the tractor merely just allows that trailer to "sit" in place, rather than snap into position. I traded out the piece with a peg to resolve this.

All in all, this is a fantastic set, especially at the MSRP and is a highly recommended piece to add to any city collection.

Truckin' awesome.

Written by (AFOL , gold-rated reviewer) in Singapore,

In the strange alternate universe of LEGO System, global oil and gas giant Royal Dutch Shell has been supplanted by a young upstart by the name of Octan, to the point where the former multi-billion-dollar company was forced out of existence by its green-and-red rival. LEGO loves Big Oil almost as much as it loves police surveillance (what message are we sending to our children, exactly?), and its love is demonstrated once again with the mighty Tank Truck, a truly formidable unit in the world of petroleum conglomerates.

In all honesty, I bought this set completely on a whim, my rationale being something along the lines of, hey, wouldn't it be sweet to own a truck since I've never owned one in my life? I have been told that I was fascinated by large vehicles as a child, and although I thought that that enthusiasm had waned since then, it turns out that there is some primal part of me that loves large vehicles still because I think Tank Truck is among the coolest vehicles I own.

The Tank Truck comes with just one Minifig, a lowly Octan underling whose uniform is the same after all these years; it so happens that I still have the Minifig from 6537 - circa 1994, according to BrickSet - and his uniform is identical to this guy's. One Minifig is all you'll need for this set, which comes with a surprising number of features in spite of being, well, a truck.

The front part of a truck (are there technical terms that differentiate between the actual part of the truck that has the engine in it versus the stuff that it pulls along?) looks absolutely fantastic, and the ingenuity of LEGO engineers never fails to amaze and impress me no matter how many vehicles I build. The level of detail is amazing, and, like most other LEGO vehicles these days, the roof comes off for easy placement of the Minifig.

The oil tank itself is detachable and made out of large curved pieces, which add an elegant sense of realism to the truck. The pieces are not attached together firmly, which makes blowing it up a breeze if you happen to be staging an alien invasion or recreating the opening scene from Fast & Furious, although doing that, unfortunately, requires you to acknowledge that the movie Fast & Furious exists. Worse still, you may find yourself in a position where you are forced to admit to yourself that, yes, you have seen Fast & Furious and should be ashamed for it (I know I am). That aside, the tanker also comes with a number of great features for playability, including a long rope "pipe" with a nozzle and a pair of chocks for preventing the vehicle from rolling away.

Finally, as a small bonus, the set also comes with a gas pump, which will have to satisfy most of us in terms of keeping our cars on the go since the Service Station (7993) is inexplicably rare and prohibitively expensive. Pairing it up with a makeshift structure is not an entirely bad idea for creating a rudimentary gas/petrol station of your own for your city.

The Tank Truck has quickly become the centrepiece of my town and one of my favourite sets, and this is coming from someone who, prior to his impulse purchase, had no great affinity for trucks. So go ahead and support Big Oil - my guess is that Octan will simply use your money to keep creating policemen until the ratio of law enforcement personnel to civilians stands at roughly 1:2.

City Review of 3180 Tank Truck

Written by (TFOL) in United States,

This is a review of City set 3180 Octan Tank Truck. It comes with one minifigure,a fuel pump and the tank truck.The minifiure is a Octan truck driver with the new curved baseball cap in blue,face with eyebrows and a smile and Octan jacket with white pants and the fuel pump is a simple build in a place to put gas from the truck in and a sticker for the gallons and the price.

The tank truck,the main part of set,is an articulated truck with the cab is a European style front with lights on top as it being an airport vehicle,the planes need to see it to know not to land on a tank truck.(That would be very bad)The interior has a steering wheel,a lever and a coffee cup and on the back there`s some things that might be wires but look like ketchup and mustard dispensers.

The trailer is made out of the container,which is like 11 pieces and has holes in it. I don`t trust container tanks with holes in them. There`s also wheel chocks on one side and oil delivery controls on the other.A ladder to get to the top and a stand.

In short,this is a great use of 20 bucks,I advise you to buy this and buy it before it runs out!

Better than I thought...

Written by (AFOL , gold-rated reviewer) in United Kingdom,

The Tank Truck set (3180) is a LEGO City set which came out in 2010. It comes with 1 minifig and 222 pieces. This set does include a few decals and there're no mistakes in the instructions and no missing pieces.

Minifigure:

• Driver: The driver comes with white pants and the basic blue LEGO Town uniform. He has a blue cap and he has a grin on his face
    Tanker Truck:

The truck comes with a rig and a trailer which can be removed easily. The trailer has a ladder on the back which makes it easier for the driver to climb on the top. There are nice lights on the backs and on the one side you can see a door which you can open if you want to get some yellow weight pieces. On the other side is a hose which you can pull out. There's also a lever on the bottom which makes the trailer looking awsome too.

The rig is also very attractive. The doors can be opened and the top can be removed easily if you want to see the inside of the rig. You can see the steering-wheel and a red coffee mug. On the top you can see 2 lights and on the front you can see the headlights and the grill.

Fuel Station:

The fuel station is very simple: You get a hose and a computer which shows you how much fuel you can fill in.

Positive:

Minifigures
    Great pieces which you can youse for brickfilms or MOC's
    Nice starter set
    Price
    Easy playabilities

Negative:

None...

All in all it's a great set to get and I would highly recommend you to get this model. You can find this set on eBay, BrickLink and Amazon for sure. Here is the link where you can check out the full galery I made for this set on my website: http://www.klokriecher.de

Videos I made of this set:

Stopmotion
    Review

Best Tank Truck

Written by (AFOL , gold-rated reviewer) in Indonesia,

Before this set, I owned the 6594 (Gas Transit) and along with the 6562 (Gas Stop Shop), they serve nicely as gas station and gas tank for my city. Don't get me wrong, both of them is really nice and classic looking. But when I saw this set, I know that I should have one.

The design is nicely done to resemble a real gas delivery car. Really love the details that they are putting in the car. Combining this set with a 7933, and you get a modern look gas station.

Here are the list of what I likes the set :

LIKE :
    1. Shape of the container : Lego really create a unique parts for the container, so the shape is not rectangular, but a bit roundish, really mimic the real car in the real world.
    2. Color : very nice color combination, using white and green with a hint of red color in between.
    3. Details : there's a lot of minor details that really gives this set a feeling of resembling a real gas truck e.g. the gray round plate 2x2 in the top part of the container, the big side mirror, the detachable container
    4. One gas pump : The main reason I buy this set is because the truck, and I didn't aware that the set is also come with a gas pump, so when I built it, I was suprised and really delighted with the extra gas pump.

There's no major things that I don't like about the set. One thing that quite annoying is the color of the minifig pants. How come a gas driver like this using a white colored pants? It definitely not the smartest choice for him, since he will get the pants dirty in a really short time. But this is not a major problem, not many people will aware of this (maybe I am thinking too much:P), and it can really fixed easily by replacing the pants with other color.

In conclusion, I think this is among the best set that Lego launched for the City theme on 2010, and if you are a real city builder, I believe you should have at least one in your collection.