Neat little parts pack.

Written by (AFOL , bronze-rated reviewer) in United States,

Let me admit right up front that I don't actually play the LEGO board games, but even so I think this set is worth picking up.

Box/Instructions

The Magma Monster game comes in what appears to be the standard LEGO game box. It's sturdy and the completed game board will fit inside. Even if you don't build and keep the game, I like these boxes for brick storage and sorting.

Two sets of instructions are included, one for the build and one for game play. The build instructions were clear enough for what was a pretty simple build. As I mentioned above, I didn't play the game, but I did read through the game rules, and at least the path-building portion sounds pretty neat. The "combat" element didn't do much for me on the read-through, but I haven't played the game, and actual play experience might redeem it.

I bought this set for the parts, so I rated it high on that front. This was my first orange base plate, and I'm not aware of any other current sets that include one. Several of the pieces that make up the Magma Monster, himself, are, if not unique to this set, at least uncommon in the colors found here. I've become a bit of a fan of the "log" bricks lately, and this set includes ten 1x2 bricks in each of brown, light gray and sand.

A 1 x 4 modified brick with groove, several gouts of flame, a gold "nugget," a couple transparent bricks, two bats, some back plates and some gray and brown sloped bricks round out the set.

Minifigures

The four included microfigures are decorated to look like modern-day adventurers.

The build

Even though I didn't intend to play the game, I went ahead and built the board. There isn't a whole lot here to build, but what there is makes for a fun building experience. In setting up the game board you build a couple neat little rock outcroppings, and it's fun to "watch" the Magma Monster, itself, come together.

The completed model

This is less a model, of course, than a game board, and cleared as if for a new game, the baseplate looks pretty barren. Even then, though, the back end of the board, with the Magma Monster, his cave, and his bat cohorts looks pretty neat. Even after disassembling the game, I kept the Magma Monster assembled, figuring he can terrorize my Castle minifigs.

Summary

I picked this set up for about $10 at Wal-Mart, and at that price I felt it was a good value, but apparently the MSRP is $14.99. I'm not sure I would have even made the purchase at that price.

A fun game..........

Written by (TFOL) in United Kingdom,

......but why is the build so tricky? I really hated building this game, because things kept falling down, the towers with bats on them fell the most. Afterwards it was quite a nice game.

PROS

• The finished game is quite fun
    • Cool monster.
    • Bats are quite rare.
    CONS
    • Build is tricky

Overall, only get this if you want a fun game.

This review has been rated unhelpful.

• Magma Monster

Not a great set, but a baseplate is cool

Written by (AFOL , bronze-rated reviewer) in United States,

Saw this set yesterday and bought it for only 2 reasons. The "blood orange" base plate and the brown monster.

The rest of the set is not a great parts buy, however since the game is designed for children I am sure that kids will get a little bit ofplay out of it and then forget the game.

I predict that this game is going to be in our lives for only a few months and then it will be gone. However I do see a number of people buying this for their bricklink stores.