best race car so far

Written by (AFOL) in United States,

As an owner of most of the F-1 technic models, I love this one the best. looking at the Silver Champion, the Ferrari and the Grand Prix Racer on the shelve, I must say I enjoy the elegant design of the latest the most.

the colors, red, white and black, are very intelligently interacting. a lot of fun to build, a lot of fun to look at. the wheels are a bit less wide than previous models which makes the steering much better.

I think it will become a great collectors model in the future.

Good set big size

Written by (AFOL) in Australia,

This is the first BIG lego set I have built in years, I was a huge Lego fan as a child and sort of fell away a bit as the years went by. I got the set for a magnificent price and really couldn't pass it up. The build went smoothly, around 6 hours all up. I didn't have any issues with the steering alignment as I noticed somebody else had mentioned.

The set is MASSIVE. It doesn't even fit in my book case so its sitting up on top. It looks very imposing and feels reasonably well built. I wouldn't want to use it as a toy though, the weight balance is off and its hard to pickup with one hand. I was amazed at the number of new pieces lego have come out with over the years, half the parts in the set I have never seen before which made the build far more interesting. I wasn't going to fit the stickers but it looked way to plain without them, none of them join any pieces together which was another reason I used them. The HOG steering works well, I did have a bit of a push around on the floor with the car its good that the paddle steering wheel in the cockpit also works. The suspension set up is really well done with the inboard mounted shocks. That is something I haven't personally seen on a Lego set before.

The only real gripe is the fact that the engine compartment is geared wrong and takes way too long to open, Power Functions would fix that issue but I think the look of the battery back doesn't do any favors for the car, I removed the mounts for it anyways after I built the car, they looked a bit stupid just hanging out the back.

Building this set has made me want to go buy some more, larger Lego Technic sets and the Wife probably isn't going to like it.

• Grand Prix Racer

If you're a Formula 1 fan and don't yet have this set...

Written by (AFOL) in United States,

OK, it's not really a Formula 1 car because it's not a licensed product. But, if you take one look at it, it's clearly a Formula 1 car! This model will look good on a shelf, just standing, or will look cool on the floor, driving it around. There is even a gear-operated Drag Reduction System just like the real thing from the last couple of years of Formula 1 cars. Or, as I call it, not-DRS, because this totally is not a Formula 1 car!

Pros

• The build is super fun - not your typical Technic truck chassis. The build involved multiple sub-assemblies that get bolted onto the main structure. Three full booklets of build!
    • The four-wheel independent realistic suspension (with inboard shocks on both front and back) is amazing, and much like the real thing
    • The model is huge
    • Both hand-of-god (HOG) steering and a steering yoke for the driver
    • There's of course a differential connected to the rear wheels and V8 engine (just like the current generation of Formula 1 cars)
    • There is a crank knob and a selector switch on the right sidepod of the car to control the not-DRS (Drag Reduction System), which is a movable element on the rear wing. Toggle the selector switch and you can flip up the engine cover.

Cons - Admittedly getting a bit nitpicky, but good stuff to know...

• There are two sheets of stickers for this model. While some would consider that a Pro, because it is more akin to a real racecar, they're stickers on Lego, so come on!
    • The colors themselves are a bit odd (at least without stickers). I plan to replace all the white body parts with red spares and make it look like Rosa Corsa
    • The hand-of-god steering is fine, but the steering yoke is mis-aligned. If you build this, make sure you line it up early. I didn't discover this until way too late and it'll take a major rebuild to fix it. The instructions don't warn about this alignment at all.
    • And speaking of the instructions, as with the last several years, I have yet to see an instruction manual without at least a few errors (bad rendering, missing parts, moved parts), and this one is no exception. Fortunately, aside from the mis-aligned steering, no major errors.
    • In the back of the car you'll see four blue connectors sticking out the back, and then freak out because clearly you built something incorrectly. Nope - you're good. It's to hold the battery pack for adding Power Functions. Very ugly.
    • One of the power functions is fairly lame: open the engine cover. Not a very useful feature, I would have preferred just a flip-up door.
    • The car's weight balance is a bit off.
    • There's no good place to pick up the car with one hand (the center of mass is around the engine cover, but because it's movable, you can't pick the car up from there).

If you're a Formula 1 fan and don't yet have this set, go buy it now! Yeah, like I said, it's not really Formula 1, but this is Lego, and we're all in a pretend world, so go buy it!

• Grand Prix Racer

Interesting suspension but too fragile

Written by (AFOL) in Romania,

This is my first F1 car set so I'm not in the position to compare it with other F1 cars released by Lego.

Some great parts in the package, especially the new wheel hubs. Tires are also interesting to have.

The build

The building process was quite challenging. It took me about 6 hours. There is some interesting suspension to admire. Unfortunately the suspension on the rear axle is very fragile and it will result in braking the piece #32039 Axle Connector with Axle Hole. On my model one broke when the suspension was pressed and the other one is already cracked. I suspect that the springs are too hard and they are forcing the suspension, the weakest link being the above mentioned piece. Maybe replacing the springs with the softer version will work better but I didn't test this.

The completed model

It's huge. Nice looking but with few functions: engine cover rising/lowering, aileron adjustment, HOG steering, independent suspension, fake engine.

It can be fitted with the #8293-1 power functions set but just to motorize the first two functions I mentioned. I don't think it worth the trouble and money to do that because it will not add much to the playability.

Overall opinion

Nice display piece but not much to play with. It is too big and stiff to be driven by kids around the room. As I said before, it is a nice parts pack so I would generally recommend getting it if you find the parts tempting or you are an F1 fan.

1 out of 1 person thought this review was helpful.

• Grand Prix Racer

Opportunity too good to miss

Written by (AFOL , silver-rated reviewer) in New Zealand,

I have seen this set in stores and it is not one that I have considered buying. While it is a big set, I have not been drawn to the F1 racing cars.

While scanning the shelves at a local store, there was this set which had a large tear on the cover of the box which had been taped up. The box seals were intact and it looked as if it had not been opened.

Box/Instructions

Due to the extensive tear in the box, I was able to use the damage to obtain a large discount. The shop assistant marked it as damaged goods and indicated that I would not be able to return for a refund. Little chance of me returning it!!!

The set was complete as new with all parts packs sealed and instructions sealed in a bag.

There are loads of new parts in this set.

I am wanting to create MOCs of an articulated fire truck with an extension ladder and a helicopter with a working cyclic and collective. Lots of parts in this model fit with these two goals.

I will utilise loads of the side panels and suspension arms to build these MOCs.

The build

It was straight forward to build.

The completed model

The built model looks great although there are glaring gaps in the body paneling.

The tyres and wheels look as if they would suit a truck and not a F1 Grand Prix racer.

The low profile wheels from my 8448 super car look better but they do not click into the hubs correctly.

Overall opinion

Great score of a really good set at the right price. Lots of parts which I will use in other models.