The most playable Technic F1 super-car

Written by (AFOL , silver-rated reviewer) in United States,

The Grand Prix Racer is a worthy entry in the LEGO Technic/Racers line of F1 super cars that update the line with the modern selection of Technic parts, wheel mounts, and other goodies. While the car does not quite have have the ultra-cool looks and tires of its predecessors, it does not look bad either. It more than makes up for it with a solid build, improved playability, and parts selection.

The box looks very nice in par with all current mid-line (non-flagship) technic sets. It is wonderfully packed with parts with very little air space left, which I like very much. The instructions are clear and well packed. So, no real surprises in this department.

I had great time building the model marveling the suspension mechanic and the interesting building techniques employed. The stickers add to the aesthetics of the model, so I recommend applying them. It's nice that also that the model includes a decent number of gears and linear actuators for developing the functions.

Speaking of functions, this model features a function selector and manual crank - mainly, the hood opens up and the rear spoiler changes the angle of attack. These are fine, but could have been better operated via levers than using a crank. The crank is geared down a bit too much - clearly the intent is for the functions to be operated by a power functions motor, which also feel unnecessary. The biggest improvement of this model's functions over previous F1 super cars is the addition of "wheel of god" steering, which is very nice in my opinion.

The completed model looks great and the color scheme resembles the ones you'd expect from a real F1 car. Its profile is a bit boxier than say the Williams F1 Racer (8461) and the tires are not as realistic for an F1 car. However, it still looks great. The two weakest parts of the design are the nose which looks a bit oddly shaped and the push rod controlling the rear spoiler, which is not aesthetically pleasing. Other than this, I think the design is very nice.

Overall, I think this is a great F1 race car that I would recommend. It provides a nice case study of the suspension, construction, and aerodynamics of F1 race cars. The model closely resembles the Silver Champion, Ferrari, and Williams construction. The Grand Prix Racer trades off (only slightly) the looks and more realistic body shape of its parents for improved sturdiness and playability. This tradeoff is quite reasonable and 42000 succeeds in balancing looks with play features. In fact, I like it better than the older F1 cars which were more of display models that you'd never give to the kids to play with due to fragility issues.

best race car so far

Written by (AFOL) in United States,

As an owner of most of the F-1 technic models, I love this one the best. looking at the Silver Champion, the Ferrari and the Grand Prix Racer on the shelve, I must say I enjoy the elegant design of the latest the most.

the colors, red, white and black, are very intelligently interacting. a lot of fun to build, a lot of fun to look at. the wheels are a bit less wide than previous models which makes the steering much better.

I think it will become a great collectors model in the future.

Good set big size

Written by (AFOL) in Australia,

This is the first BIG lego set I have built in years, I was a huge Lego fan as a child and sort of fell away a bit as the years went by. I got the set for a magnificent price and really couldn't pass it up. The build went smoothly, around 6 hours all up. I didn't have any issues with the steering alignment as I noticed somebody else had mentioned.

The set is MASSIVE. It doesn't even fit in my book case so its sitting up on top. It looks very imposing and feels reasonably well built. I wouldn't want to use it as a toy though, the weight balance is off and its hard to pickup with one hand. I was amazed at the number of new pieces lego have come out with over the years, half the parts in the set I have never seen before which made the build far more interesting. I wasn't going to fit the stickers but it looked way to plain without them, none of them join any pieces together which was another reason I used them. The HOG steering works well, I did have a bit of a push around on the floor with the car its good that the paddle steering wheel in the cockpit also works. The suspension set up is really well done with the inboard mounted shocks. That is something I haven't personally seen on a Lego set before.

The only real gripe is the fact that the engine compartment is geared wrong and takes way too long to open, Power Functions would fix that issue but I think the look of the battery back doesn't do any favors for the car, I removed the mounts for it anyways after I built the car, they looked a bit stupid just hanging out the back.

Building this set has made me want to go buy some more, larger Lego Technic sets and the Wife probably isn't going to like it.

• Grand Prix Racer

If you're a Formula 1 fan and don't yet have this set...

Written by (AFOL) in United States,

OK, it's not really a Formula 1 car because it's not a licensed product. But, if you take one look at it, it's clearly a Formula 1 car! This model will look good on a shelf, just standing, or will look cool on the floor, driving it around. There is even a gear-operated Drag Reduction System just like the real thing from the last couple of years of Formula 1 cars. Or, as I call it, not-DRS, because this totally is not a Formula 1 car!

Pros

• The build is super fun - not your typical Technic truck chassis. The build involved multiple sub-assemblies that get bolted onto the main structure. Three full booklets of build!
    • The four-wheel independent realistic suspension (with inboard shocks on both front and back) is amazing, and much like the real thing
    • The model is huge
    • Both hand-of-god (HOG) steering and a steering yoke for the driver
    • There's of course a differential connected to the rear wheels and V8 engine (just like the current generation of Formula 1 cars)
    • There is a crank knob and a selector switch on the right sidepod of the car to control the not-DRS (Drag Reduction System), which is a movable element on the rear wing. Toggle the selector switch and you can flip up the engine cover.

Cons - Admittedly getting a bit nitpicky, but good stuff to know...

• There are two sheets of stickers for this model. While some would consider that a Pro, because it is more akin to a real racecar, they're stickers on Lego, so come on!
    • The colors themselves are a bit odd (at least without stickers). I plan to replace all the white body parts with red spares and make it look like Rosa Corsa
    • The hand-of-god steering is fine, but the steering yoke is mis-aligned. If you build this, make sure you line it up early. I didn't discover this until way too late and it'll take a major rebuild to fix it. The instructions don't warn about this alignment at all.
    • And speaking of the instructions, as with the last several years, I have yet to see an instruction manual without at least a few errors (bad rendering, missing parts, moved parts), and this one is no exception. Fortunately, aside from the mis-aligned steering, no major errors.
    • In the back of the car you'll see four blue connectors sticking out the back, and then freak out because clearly you built something incorrectly. Nope - you're good. It's to hold the battery pack for adding Power Functions. Very ugly.
    • One of the power functions is fairly lame: open the engine cover. Not a very useful feature, I would have preferred just a flip-up door.
    • The car's weight balance is a bit off.
    • There's no good place to pick up the car with one hand (the center of mass is around the engine cover, but because it's movable, you can't pick the car up from there).

If you're a Formula 1 fan and don't yet have this set, go buy it now! Yeah, like I said, it's not really Formula 1, but this is Lego, and we're all in a pretend world, so go buy it!

• Grand Prix Racer

Interesting suspension but too fragile

Written by (AFOL) in Romania,

This is my first F1 car set so I'm not in the position to compare it with other F1 cars released by Lego.

Some great parts in the package, especially the new wheel hubs. Tires are also interesting to have.

The build

The building process was quite challenging. It took me about 6 hours. There is some interesting suspension to admire. Unfortunately the suspension on the rear axle is very fragile and it will result in braking the piece #32039 Axle Connector with Axle Hole. On my model one broke when the suspension was pressed and the other one is already cracked. I suspect that the springs are too hard and they are forcing the suspension, the weakest link being the above mentioned piece. Maybe replacing the springs with the softer version will work better but I didn't test this.

The completed model

It's huge. Nice looking but with few functions: engine cover rising/lowering, aileron adjustment, HOG steering, independent suspension, fake engine.

It can be fitted with the #8293-1 power functions set but just to motorize the first two functions I mentioned. I don't think it worth the trouble and money to do that because it will not add much to the playability.

Overall opinion

Nice display piece but not much to play with. It is too big and stiff to be driven by kids around the room. As I said before, it is a nice parts pack so I would generally recommend getting it if you find the parts tempting or you are an F1 fan.