• Freeing Dobby

Master has given Dobby a Sock!

Written by (TFOL , bronze-rated reviewer) in United States,

I am a huge fan of the Lego Harry Potter line, and when I saw this on clearance at Walmart, I couldn't resist! It is the "small set" of the Harry Potter bunch, and while it isn't much, its a nice little addition to any Harry Potter collection.

Box and Instructions

The box is (wait for it)...a box! It displays the little corridor/doorway that is the main part of the set, and of course, dobby doing that strange sort of Sith Lightning thing to Lucius Malfoy like he does in the movie. The back shows the different play features, as most lego boxes do, and shows the fact that you can switch Lucius Malfoy's head to a Death Eater Mask. The box isn't anything to special, but it isn't misleading or anything like that. The instructions had no mistakes, and was fairly easy to follow.

Minifigures

The Minifigures in this set are good, but not great.

I'll start with Dobby. The Dobby Minifigure is basically the only real draw for buying this set, as there are about a thousand oppurtunities for getting the other two figures. However, Dobby is quite a spectacular figure. His head is a new mould, and it's actually kind of cute. His torso has front and back printing of Dobby's "sack" that he wears around as a sign of his enslavement. His legs are the shorter kind that are not able to be moved, and have no printing. He is a nice figure and pretty fun to play with.

The next Minifigure we get is Harry Potter in his school uniform. I don't really care to much for this figure, as we get him in nearly every other Harry Potter set (even if we don't get this variant of Harry Potter, we get one in his street clothes). He comes with the average brown wand, and has all the details that are on the plethora of Harry Potter figures.

The final minifigure that we get is Lucius Malfoy. I actually like this figure, If only we didn't get him so many times. It's nice that we can turn around his head and get his Death Eater mask, however this Lucius does not come with a hood, so you can't mod him into a normal Death Eater. He comes with a black wand and a black cape. And with that, we have covered the Minifigures!

The Build

Building the doorway is easy and doesn't take very long at all. Follow the instructions and you'll be done in 10-20 minutes easily. However, you can't exactly expect a detailed build for a 11.00 73 piece set, so I'm fine with the building experience.

The Completed Model

The little doorway is just, well, a doorway. One side has a broomstick and a spider on it, the other one has a golden stud for a little bit of detail. It has two torches and a play function where you push a lever sort of thing and Lucius Malfoy can go flying, so that you can mimic the scene where Dobby uses his magic to defend Harry. The model is basically 3 steps and an archway over the top. One little minor bother is that you can see the bright red lever (for the play function) sticking out the back quite easily. Lego doesn't show that in any box art, and it's a bit annoying, so tuck it away somewhere where the back won't be seen. Another thing is that it would have been nice to have the oppurtunity to attatch it to Hogwarts, but unfortunately, you aren't able to. The model includes Tom Riddle's Diary, and a sock piece for Dobby, to increase playability, but there are really only so many times you can reenact this scene.

Summary

Overall this is a nice little addition to the Harry Potter collection, even if it is a bit small. I'd recommend buying this set if you're a Harry Potter collector, especially if you can find it on any sort of clearance or sale!

• Freeing Dobby

"harry potter gives dobby... a good review?"

Written by (KFOL) in Canada,

well duh, why wouldnt I? I love harry potter!

Pros

• set looks awesome
    • you get to fling mr. malfoy of the edge of the earth!
    • one word: dobby

Cons

• not a big set
    • there is no con #2

overall this set rocks!

i'd reccomend this set totally!

Pop! Goes the Lucius!

Written by (TFOL , bronze-rated reviewer) in United States,

An enjoyable set. The blaster can shoot a minifig 3 feet. The parts are fairly good. I love Lucius' hair, and I can always use another broomstick. Harry should have had a cape, but I've said that since 2004.

Pros

• Dobby who doesn't look like a zombie
    • Inclusion of Harry
    • Awesome Lucius blaster
    • Broomstick
    • Spider
    • Best Lucius Malfoy yet
    • Looks good with Hogwarts

Cons

• Harry Doesn't have a cape
    • The diary wasn't printed with Tom Marvolo Riddle

Basically, like every set, it's got its disappointments, but it's a really good set.

"Dobby is free!"

Written by (TFOL) in United Kingdom,

This is the cheapest of the 6 Harry Potter sets released in '10, but was my 4th set! It is a remake of Dobby's Release in 2002, but I was very young then, and probably didn't know there were any LEGO Harry Potter sets then! Anyway, I'll give you my review now:

Box/Instructions - 9/10

This is a small box, but with only 70-odd pieces it wasn't going to be big anyway. The instructions are clear and easy to follow

Parts - 8/10

There are some very cool parts, like the sock tile, and the flame things. It includes another spider, and another broom, and some gold 1x1 small round tile (the ones that are 1/3 the height of standard bricks), which I think is a Snitch, but I am not too sure.

Minifigures - 9/10

Harry Potter - 8/10

Another Harry Potter, in Hogwarts Uniform. I'm not complaining, I might want to make a clone army of Harry in the future!

Lucius Malfoy - 9/10

This is a cool minifigure. He has blonde Dumbledore hair, and I love his face, with the Death Eater mask on the back. His torso printing is quite cool aswell.

Dobby - 10/10

This is the best minifigure of the set. His head is so cute, and the torso printing is exquisite aswell, it really looks like him.

The build - 8/10

This was a very easy build, what with it being only 73 pieces. It took me about 5 minutes, if I'm honest, but I don't care.

The completed model - 9/10

It has a really cool little doorway, where you can put a minifigure on the step, and push the lever, and it sends the minifigure flying, which I think is a good playability feature :D

Summary - 43/50 = 8.6/10

All in all, a fantastic set, especially if you have a very low budget. It is an enjoyable set, and I won't be getting rid of this for a very long time! :D

I hope this review has come in handy, incase you were contemplating buying this set, in that case I would definitely recommend it :D

Matt

1 out of 1 person thought this review was helpful.

Go Dobby!

Written by (Unspecified) in United States,

You gotta love Dobby! This small set is very well done for the HP fan. The set's value is more for either beginning builders, or HP collectors to display. There is not a lot of playability, but sufficient in relation to the size of the item.

(P)The build is very simple and quick. Instructions are clear and easy to follow.

(P)Dobby is awesome! He looks victorious standing there with sock in hand.

(P)I was disappointed that Lucious even had a Death Eater mask since they were not even seen till the fourth book/movie. You can of course choose to keep the mask to the back and under his hair, which I have done.

(P)Harry of course is there being defended by Dobby after tricking Lucious into handing Dobby his sock!

(P)With only a small amount of playability or building time, this set is more for an inexpensive gift, beginning builder, or avid HP fan who will never "have it all!" I love it for the depiction of one of my favorite HP scenes, and characters. How can anyone not love Dobby!