• Hagrid's Hut

Excellent but a little flimsy at times

Written by (TFOL) in United States,

Hello, this is my first review on Brickset!

As a Harry Potter fan, I scrambled to get all of the new sets by the time they retired. This is one of the last sets I bought but it is one of the best in some aspects.

Building Experience: 4/5

This is a fun set without a doubt and I had a blast putting it together! However, I found that the hinge that can separate the hut in half; kept snapping off even when I checked my work to see if I did something wrong. Other than that, great! Much better than the old Hagrid's Hut that had the paper roof.

Parts: 5/5

Many good exclusive parts; really like norbert and the good details on the owls. Also always good to get a light brick! Aragog was very creative as well.

Playability: 4/5

As I said before the hinges fall out this limits playing as the hinges opperate opening the hut.

Value: 5/5

Good price considering the rare body of Hagrid and the other exclusive pieces and good minifigs.

Great Set!

Written by (TFOL) in United States,

4738-1 Hagrid's Hut is an outstanding set. I was thrilled that the Harry Potter sets were being re-made and wanted to buy one of them. I didn't want to spend very much money on one, but didn't want to buy a small crummy set. So, I bought Hagrid's Hut and was thrilled with the price and the set looked really cool. I bought it, and as soon as I got home I started to build. It was a fairly easy build, but the overall set was awesome. The fireplace, cauldron, bench, chimney, and table were all inside and very cool. I loved the set, and especially liked how it could open up in halves, unlike the 2001 version that kind of rolled out for playing. I enjoyed using the pieces to build other things and then putting the set back together also, and it supplied many great pieces. Overall, this was one of the best sets I've ever bought.

Hagrid's Hut Review

Written by (Parent , gold-rated reviewer) in United States,

Granted I got this set as a gift for my birthday, I won't complain about the price. I will say that even at the listed price of $40, this set is well worth it if I had bought myself.

I am writing this as a parent instead of as an AFOL who got this to add to their collection because I have money, job and this is my hobby with collecting LEGO. Mainly as I have a daughter who loves to play with these sets too and this is an area where we bond and interact together.

The build with this set was fairly simple and straight forward to make and there's lot of details and accessories with this set for making Hagrid's Hut. Someone like my daughter would have found it too advanced for her due to her age. The final build of the hut is something though, that gets her interest. And if memory serves right, there has been at least one other version of Hagrid's Hut that I've seen, but the roof was completed using flimsy cardboard and not actual LEGO pieces. Color wise, this set is far better visually then any of the previous huts I've seen.

Aragog I enjoyed putting together and found it clever the use of katana swords for making his spindly legs. My daughter was greatly amused, asking me questions about the set, who the characters were and wanting me to explain the story and then having us play, acting out the scenes from the movies. (At four, nearly five, the Harry Potter movies are not quiet yet age appropriate for her and soon I will be planning to start trying to read some of the first couple books to her).

I love the minifigures, they're very well done of Hagrid, Hermione, Ron and Harry. The inclusion of a little rat piece means you've got Scabbers, so any era of Harry Potter books/scenes before Prisoner of Azkaban can be played out. Same with the inclusion of Aragog and his little spider children included, there's a couple scenes for Chamber of Secrets that can be played out too.

I can easily see any child, even mine being amused for hours with all the details, elements and scenarios that can be played out. This set is a welcomed addition to my collection and with being nearly finished with the Atlantis theme, I'm turning my attention to some of the other themes that I'd like to get more sets of.

Oh gosh, it's Aragog!!

Written by (KFOL) in United Kingdom,

I got this as a thank you gift from my dad. It was my first set of the new Harry Potter sets in 2010. I got this set in the August of 2010. I also got the Skier and male Surfer also with it.

Box/Instructions

The box is about 30cm wide at the front and back and about 10cm wide at the sides. The height is about 20cm. The instructions are quite easy. 9.5/10

The parts are generally found in other sets. 9/10

Minifigures

The minifigures included are Hagrid (Obviously), Harry Potter, Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley. Quite common people in the Harry Potter theme. Harry has a happy face and an angry one. Hermione has a happy face and a confused/angry one. Ron has a chilled/relaxed/happy face and a scared one. Hagrid has a happy face. Harry, Ron and Hermione have Gryffindor uniforms and black legs and a brown wand each. Hagrid has a unique to him body and a pink umbrella.9.9/10

The build

It took me about 10 minutes to build the hut, 2 minutes for Aragog and 55 seconds for the minifigures. Quite easy and fun to build. 9.7/10

The completed model

Fun to play with. You could use the hut in many ways. For example you could use it as Hagrid's hut or as a peasant's hut. 9/10

Summary

A really good set. If you have the 4842 hogwart's castle you can put the hut near the outskirts of it. 10/10

Awesome!

Written by (TFOL) in United Kingdom,

This was my first set of the HP 2010 wave, and I must say it is one of my favourites of th wave.

Box/Instructions - 9/10

The box is fairly big, and the instructions are clear and easy to follow.

Parts - 9/10

There are some pretty cool parts, like the swords for Aragog's legs, and the food, keys, doors etc. But my favourite has to be the light up brick for the fireplace. Unfortunately, I didn't know that something was pushing against the lever-thing for a long time and the battery has run out! :O

Minifigures - 9.25/10

Harry Potter - 8/10

Nothing really new here, in Hogwarts Uniform, angry face on the back, blah blah blah ;)

Ron Weasley - 10/10

An amazing figure, to say the least. I saw the preliminary box for this, and his head was that of Fred and George. I was fine with that. But when I saw actual pictures, his new hair was just awesome! Love his scared face on the back :)

Hermione Granger - 10/10

This is an awesome minifigure. Movie accurate, using her OotP hair aswell ;)

Hagrid - 9/10

This minifigure is obviously redesigned from the past one, and what a wise decision to make :D The torso printing is much better, and the face is much more detailed :D

The build - 10/10

To me, this build was one of the best I've ever had with a set. It kept me occupied for some time, and only got even slightly repetitive in one place, where you had to build the same little corner again, but that didn't bother me.

The completed model - 10/10

A stunning little dwelling ;) Lovely Aragog design, and the hut is great :D

Summary - 47.25/50 = 9.45/10

All in all, a fantastic set :D Nothing more to say other than positive stuff :D

I hope you like my review, and I hope it has helped you make a decision whether or not you want to buy it :)

Matt