• Police Officer

5621 Police Officer - A superlative minifigure impulse set.

Written by (AFOL , silver-rated reviewer) in United States,

First of all, I have to point out that my ratings of sets are subjective based on what I believe the overall intent of the set to be. For example, my expectations of $100 USD+ major sets are much higher and more detailed than my expectations for middle price point and inexpensive impulse sets. With that in mind, my view towards sets like these is that they are marketed to provide Lego enthusiasts with an inexpensive avenue of adding 1) minifigures, 2) minifigure accessories, and 3) an assortment of basic bricks and elements to their collections. I also keep my expectations of the building experience in context. We're only buying a minifigure here, after all. We can't honestly expect a challenge. I keep only those criteria in mind when reviewing sets like this one.

Flat out, this is an excellent impulse set. It meets the criteria I've outlined and then exceeds them. The accessories included in this kit add real depth to a City layout and go a long way to enhancing playability. On top of all of that, you just can't beat the price. I never see impulse kits like this for sale in my local retail outlets and as a result must buy them on the secondary market. Even at that, I see no problem with paying $6 or $7 USD for a set like this.

Pros

• The focus of the set and the reason everyone buys it in the first place, the police officer minifigure.
    • The speed trap accessories in this kit (including 50kmph Euro styled speed sign, sign post, traffic camera and mounting bracket) give it a real purpose within the City theme and suggest a story as soon as one opens the box.
    • The new dog is included in this kit, and I view it as an absolute bonus considering that I feel that this set is worth the price even without it.
    • A nice handful of basic bricks and elements are included. On top of this, I received a total of seven extra pieces with my box, one of which was the officer's hand held traffic signal.
    • This kit really does give you quite a lot for a little bit of money.

Cons NONE!

This kit is the best example yet that I have seen of what an impulse set should be. It delivers everything I expect from a minifigure box and then gives even more. The fact that the accessories come together to suggest a play premise shows that Lego is really making an effort to keep their products - even the least expensive of them - fun and interesting. If you like the City theme you should definitely pick up at least one of these as soon as you can.

• Police saves the City!

Written by (Unspecified , bronze-rated reviewer) in Russian Federation,

This set is small, but really nice: the little brown dog is a really cool figure for your Lego collection (especially if You collect Lego pets and animals!) among other small parts in this set. I would recommend this one for anybody who hasn't acquired any police sets for his city yet. The 5612 would definitely be a nice present for your friend or for your children.

1 out of 1 person thought this review was helpful.

• Small policemen - great set

Written by (Unspecified) in Serbia,

This years police force is indeed a very good theme that there really is no set within it that can say otherwise. This one is no exception. A cool grumpy face officer, a dog, radar and equipment stand, and a speed sign all point to a truly great set. I feared that it would have a sticker, which would have reduced this sets overall score. But, it didn't, to my great joy. A truly awesome set.

5 out of 5!

• 4 Bucks for this Awesome Set!

Written by (Unspecified , bronze-rated reviewer) in United States,

Four bucks for a LEGO set? What's to lose?

Pros:
    LEGO dog (sorta rare, right?).
    Police officer.
    Walkie talkie.
    Two stands.

Cons:
    NOTHING!

Pick up this set while it's still 2008--and it's not even $5!

• Love this set!

Written by (Unspecified , bronze-rated reviewer) in United States,

I love this kind of set. Just a little set, with cool pieces, a cop, and a dog! With out this set, how are you going yo build your Police Squad? The police station (my brother has the Police station) dosn't have anough cops, so this is avital set.