It's new and improved...

Written by (AFOL) in United States,

...but don't throw your old one away. The new separator has some great features, but the old style still has some advantages.

The first good thing about the new separator is that it can remove a jumper plate, even when set in the middle of a large plate. The underside of the brick separator, where it connects to other bricks, has been so made that it can accept a stud in the middle.

The next improvement is the inclusion of an axle on the top of the separator for pushing out axles or pins that you just can't get a grip on. It is possible to build a stand-alone tool for the same purpose, but it's handy to have right on the separator.

The last improvement is the shape, which, along with size, turns out to be the drawback of the separator as well. The entire separator is the same width, two studs wide, while the old separator was wider at the end and tapered down to two studs. While the uniform width makes it possible for the new separator to get into corners, which the old one couldn't do, the handle of the new separator is rather small, so it could be hard to hold for some people. Additionally, unlike the old separator, the 'pliers effect' is difficult to obtain. This is the procedure of separating two small plates, such as 1x2's, by placing one brick separator on top and another on the bottom piece and separating the two pieces by pushing the separators together. The angle of the new separator's handle doesn't give enough leverage for this to happen when the two separators are directly aligned. They must be placed in opposite directions and the process doesn't work as effectively this way.

In summary,

Pros

• Effective jumper plate removal
    • Axle on top
    • Fits into corners

Cons

• Can be hard to hold
    • Loss of 'pliers effect'

The shape and size are only minor quibbles, and the new improvements are excellent. The Lego Company has started including them again in larger sets, so you're bound to run across one sooner or later. I have four already, having purchased two when they first came out and received two more in sets. However you may acquire one, it will certainly be a welcome and useful addition.

MUST HAVE

Written by (AFOL) in Brunei Darussalam,

a simple but usefull tool for lego builders, i myself have three version of this tool, sometimes when playing with the bricks, some parts just got stuck and your finger is just too big for the job, this tool might just save you the trouble.

New/Improved!

Written by (Parent , gold-rated reviewer) in United States,

Like the tagline says...'Everyone, needs One!'

That's exactly right. Improving on the previous Brick Separator tool ( http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=630-1 ), the new lighter/slimmer Orange Separator is a must have for the casual builder, building with your kids when they need help separating pieces(saves on fingernails and no scratches and teeth marks on your bricks...;) as well as the seasoned MOC'er.

I acquired one with the Mini Modular VIP Set ( http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=10230-1 ) and it immediately came in handy with the build.

Like the previous separator you can still separate plates, bricks top and bottom and use the front bottom edge to get out tiles and jumper plates. But at times it was tricky to get those flat tiles out. With this separator, at the end of the handle you have a nice tapered lip that works great getting out flat tiles no matter the size.

Also handy is a rod/cross axle on the top to push out tough fitting Technic pins and axels. Works dandy.

Plus...the new bright orange color makes it stand out in your build area.

I suggest getting two (or if you have the older one keep it and get this new one)...as 2 separators are extremely handy when you need to separate small plates stacked one on top of another. You attach one separator to the bottom plate/element and then use another to pull off the other top plate/element.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND...get one now!

-LegoDad42

• Brick Separator, Orange

One LEGO your collection should not be without

Written by (AFOL , gold-rated reviewer) in United States,

While a simple little too, this brick separator is essential. For those of us that are fingernail challenged, it is required. I have several of the green separators - the old ones. One has made it into each of my daughters' LEGO boxes and we have one in ours. I now have several of these orange ones. They come in the larger kits for "free".

I was a huge fan of the old ones. For such a simple tool, it works brilliantly. This works better. Other reviews mention difficulty in some situations, but I haven't run into that yet. The addition of an axle remover made this perfect. I build a lot of Technic and like to reassemble to B-models. This means lots of disassembly of tiny axles that leave semi-permanent dents in my thumb. Dents are now gone. One minor thing - the orange is a LOT easier to find in a pile of bricks than the green ones are. I wouldn't have even thought of it, but orange stands out wonderfully against a sea of bricks.

I hope LEGO continues the trend of including these in the larger kits. It's nice to have the insurance around when you need it. :)

The handiest LEGO tool I ever had

Written by (TFOL) in Indonesia,

This, I dare say, is one of my best LEGO buys so far. Since I live in Indonesia, I can't get this set via Shop-at-home. I had always wanted this set, since I knew the old one from the Creator web videos. My chance suddenly came when I saw it hung on the back of a LEGO exclusive store (with putty,of course. don't worry,they didn't drill a hole into it to hang it and the putty leaves little-to-no residue on the brick ) while on a vacation to Singapore. I instantly Purchased one along with a Stormer XL, a Cad bane's speeder and an Ostrich race using my Birthday allowance.

I like this tool. it really helps to remove plates on bricks or plates on plates. one complaint that I have (which Jamie Berard swore wasn't a marketing gimmick) was that it's still difficult to remove plates from the same plate (e.g. 2x2 plate on a 2x2 plate) without the use of another brick separator. What's more, I heard it's more difficult to pry open stuck-together 2x2 plates using the new separator, since getting the leverage to do it is more difficult.

Improvements from the old one is that now, this separator removes jumper plates, which is good to know. The other end which is thin can be used to remove tiles, since tiles were purposely given a gap so separating it is easier (But be warned: do this carefully or else the tile may fly off!) though not everyone find this as an improvement, the separator is sleeker now with the whole thing being consistently 2 studs wide from one end to the other. Some people said it feels awkward to use the new separator since it's smaller, But me, as a TFOL, find it just fine to use.

Another innovation is a built-in, loose technic axle, to remove axles and pegs. personally, i don't really use this; I prefer using an old 8 studs long technic axle. but i suppose it's just preferences...

The separator is complete with the LEGO logo and some bumps so that you could have a good grip on it. the one in this set is orange, although a green one exists. Since there are studs, stud holes, its made of ABS plastic and it has a design and parts number, technically it is a real LEGO element in its own right. Like the old one, I've never seen it being used in MOCs yet though. My little sister also pointed out that it attaches to 2xX bricks(2x2,2x3,2x4,etc.) because of its new shape.

All in all, it's a good buy. it have also help me to stop the compelling want to use my teeth (Old habits die hard). the price is rather steep, especially since Asian countries (Except Hong Kong and maybe Japan) Sells LEGO sets at least 30% higher than normal price, But I'd say It's still a very good, worth it buy.