It's new and improved...

Written by (AFOL) in United States,

...but don't throw your old one away. The new separator has some great features, but the old style still has some advantages.

The first good thing about the new separator is that it can remove a jumper plate, even when set in the middle of a large plate. The underside of the brick separator, where it connects to other bricks, has been so made that it can accept a stud in the middle.

The next improvement is the inclusion of an axle on the top of the separator for pushing out axles or pins that you just can't get a grip on. It is possible to build a stand-alone tool for the same purpose, but it's handy to have right on the separator.

The last improvement is the shape, which, along with size, turns out to be the drawback of the separator as well. The entire separator is the same width, two studs wide, while the old separator was wider at the end and tapered down to two studs. While the uniform width makes it possible for the new separator to get into corners, which the old one couldn't do, the handle of the new separator is rather small, so it could be hard to hold for some people. Additionally, unlike the old separator, the 'pliers effect' is difficult to obtain. This is the procedure of separating two small plates, such as 1x2's, by placing one brick separator on top and another on the bottom piece and separating the two pieces by pushing the separators together. The angle of the new separator's handle doesn't give enough leverage for this to happen when the two separators are directly aligned. They must be placed in opposite directions and the process doesn't work as effectively this way.

In summary,

Pros

• Effective jumper plate removal
    • Axle on top
    • Fits into corners

Cons

• Can be hard to hold
    • Loss of 'pliers effect'

The shape and size are only minor quibbles, and the new improvements are excellent. The Lego Company has started including them again in larger sets, so you're bound to run across one sooner or later. I have four already, having purchased two when they first came out and received two more in sets. However you may acquire one, it will certainly be a welcome and useful addition.

MUST HAVE

Written by (AFOL) in Brunei Darussalam,

a simple but usefull tool for lego builders, i myself have three version of this tool, sometimes when playing with the bricks, some parts just got stuck and your finger is just too big for the job, this tool might just save you the trouble.

New/Improved!

Written by (Parent , gold-rated reviewer) in United States,

Like the tagline says...'Everyone, needs One!'

That's exactly right. Improving on the previous Brick Separator tool ( http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=630-1 ), the new lighter/slimmer Orange Separator is a must have for the casual builder, building with your kids when they need help separating pieces(saves on fingernails and no scratches and teeth marks on your bricks...;) as well as the seasoned MOC'er.

I acquired one with the Mini Modular VIP Set ( http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=10230-1 ) and it immediately came in handy with the build.

Like the previous separator you can still separate plates, bricks top and bottom and use the front bottom edge to get out tiles and jumper plates. But at times it was tricky to get those flat tiles out. With this separator, at the end of the handle you have a nice tapered lip that works great getting out flat tiles no matter the size.

Also handy is a rod/cross axle on the top to push out tough fitting Technic pins and axels. Works dandy.

Plus...the new bright orange color makes it stand out in your build area.

I suggest getting two (or if you have the older one keep it and get this new one)...as 2 separators are extremely handy when you need to separate small plates stacked one on top of another. You attach one separator to the bottom plate/element and then use another to pull off the other top plate/element.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND...get one now!

-LegoDad42

Brick Separator - Literal Title Please

Written by (AFOL) in Canada,

Well, my very first review! This is an exciting thing to start, I can't wait to go over all the cool sets I own. To keep it all organized I should start from the top of my "own" list and move down; so what is up first? 630-3, the Brick Separator...

I suppose this is going to be a bit trickier than I thought. I did say I would start at the top of my list though, so here we go! The Brick Separator is a LEGO tool that separates bricks. There, can I go home now? No, well here is the long version then.

Although not the first brick separator that LEGO has produced, the idea of having a tool that can be used for those fickle bricks that don't want to leave each other's warm embrace has been a very important design question for LEGO that can compare to the sets themselves. What types of removals will the tool allow? Is it just a glorified pry bar for getting those skinny 1x2s or 2x2s you've been putting together (you monster), or will you be able to pull apart technic pieces, snap plates off each other, and get a larger tax rebate this year? As such several separators exist, with this one being the newest addition to the family. It's sleek, sexy, and orange; what more could you want from the thing that will replace using a butter knife or your teeth?

It is a great tool to have kicking around, although if you start buying the large sets you will start to accumulate these as several of the sets have one of these included. I only have 2 (one bought by itself and one from a set) because I am a dirty peasant that can't afford the expensive sets. For that reason you are going to start to get a few of these, although having them included in sets is a nice though especially for the larger sets. As far as recommendations go, if you asked me I would say, "what are you doing in my house?", but then I would go "yeah it's a great tool for LEGO enthusiasts, the cops are on their way as we speak". Pick one up or grab one from one of the larger sets.

630-3 Brick Separator Score: A drawer of butter knives out of a row of teeth.

• Brick Separator, Orange

One LEGO your collection should not be without

Written by (AFOL , gold-rated reviewer) in United States,

While a simple little too, this brick separator is essential. For those of us that are fingernail challenged, it is required. I have several of the green separators - the old ones. One has made it into each of my daughters' LEGO boxes and we have one in ours. I now have several of these orange ones. They come in the larger kits for "free".

I was a huge fan of the old ones. For such a simple tool, it works brilliantly. This works better. Other reviews mention difficulty in some situations, but I haven't run into that yet. The addition of an axle remover made this perfect. I build a lot of Technic and like to reassemble to B-models. This means lots of disassembly of tiny axles that leave semi-permanent dents in my thumb. Dents are now gone. One minor thing - the orange is a LOT easier to find in a pile of bricks than the green ones are. I wouldn't have even thought of it, but orange stands out wonderfully against a sea of bricks.

I hope LEGO continues the trend of including these in the larger kits. It's nice to have the insurance around when you need it. :)