• Swarm Interceptor

Lots of fun in a small package

Written by (AFOL) in United States,

The Swarm Interceptor is a a deceptively fun spaceship. The build is pretty straight forward and not difficult at all, but the finished product has folding wings, a hidden flick-missile compartment, and a swiveling cockpit. The two minifigures, the winged mosquitoid and Solomon Blaze, are also great.

Pros

• Folding Wings: The Interceptor's wings fold out to fly but fold down to serve as landing gear for the ship. It looks cool, and it saves a lot of space if you have a landing pad set up or are putting the ship on display.
    • Cockpit: The Interceptor's cockpit is unusual in that it rotates separately from the rest of the body and wings of the ship. This allows the pilot to always face "up" while maneuvering through obstacles. The cockpit can also be detached with a little pull and has small wings that fold out like a glider.
    • Hidden Compartment: The upper aft section of the Interceptor's body flips open to reveal a hidden compartment containing two flick-missiles. Normally I'm not a big fan of flick-missiles, but I thought this was a cool feature (the compartment can be folded back far enough to fire the missiles behind the ship as well).
    • Minifigures: I'm a big fan of the Galaxy Squad minifigs. The humans' helmets are nicely done and the heads are double-sided so you can change how they look. The aliens are also well done and very unique, and include wings and antennae. Also, the mosquitoid comes with a nice speeder/ship to fly on his own.

Cons

• Cockpit: As much as the rotating function is neat it can also be annoying. I added a piece on top to hold it in position most of the time.

For the price - $20 - and all the features this is a great set. It was my third Galaxy Squad set but it could easily be the first set for anybody starting a collection.

Classic Space Meets New Design and Pieces

Written by (TFOL , gold-rated reviewer) in United States,

I just received this set from my grandparents for my Christmas gift (it was belated, but does that really matter anyways?). I really was hoping to get this set because it just looked awesome and very much had a Classic Space vibe to it. After building it, I can safely say that my early predictions and thoughts have led me correctly. The set feels simple yet unique, it has nice new pieces, and it has an excellent amount of play features that make this set very attractive.

Pros

• I love the new mosquitoid minifigure; Solomon Blaze is also nice (especially with the masked face), but the mosquitoid is very unique and different to the aliens of my Space collection.
    • The amount of playability here is excellent; kids will love the (always present) flick-fire missiles in the turret (which actually look rather excellent with the new smooth piece), and the ship split is logically done.
    • I am also a huge fan of the design of the ship; it feels very Classic Space-y to me for some reason (especially with the color scheme), and it has many new pieces, but I feel it would work well in any Space collection, new or old.

Cons

• I love the antennae on the mosquitoid; they look excellent, but they are a pain in the but to apply to the head, and can very easily be lost with the kid element added in.
    • I do wish that the separated ship had a small rocket on the bottom of it (or somewhere on it) since it would almost make it fall with only wings. My quirk is minor, but it would be a bit nicer to see, more realistic.
    • My final con (and possibly the biggest) would be the alien scooter flyer ship; although it isn't terrible for its size, I do believe that it isn't perfectly executed as a ship. A bit more substance would be nice here, and a 25 dollar price tag would be fine for a better scooter.

This is an excellent taste of the new Galaxy Squad line; it blends Classic Space with newer pieces and more simple building techniques. It has a lot of playability options for children, and the design is simple yet superb. This is a great set to get for a birthday present or bribery, and older fans will love its design. If you're a fan of Lego Space, get this, and you will not be disappointed.

• Swarm Interceptor

Even my wife loves it. (That's saying something)

Written by (AFOL , silver-rated reviewer) in United States,

This is one of my favorite sets ever. Cool play features all around. Much better than the trite/obligatory ones in many sets. ;p

Instructions

Some of the colors are way off, but it's still really easy to follow

I really love the parts here. It's a very cool set with very cool stuff. The huge fin/wings are very cool.

Minifigures

The Mosquitoid is pretty stunning. The wings have this holographic effect in them. The head print on the human is really cool as well. Hard to pick which side to use.

The build

It's quick and easy and super sturdy.

It's so coooool! It's super swooshy. It transforms, splits, and has hidden missiles. Even the alien skiff is poseable.

Value

I think it's perfect for the money. Nice big ship. Two great minifigs. There's not really much more that you could ask for.

Great Spacecraft

Written by (TFOL , silver-rated reviewer) in United States,

This is a great set and a great addition to the Galaxy Squad theme. The spaceship is awesome with a detachable escape pod with folding wings, hidden flick fire missiles, and folding wings the turn the back section of the spaceship into a turret. One of my favorite functions, though, is that when the plane flies, the cockpit rotates to stay level. This function works very well. The bug vehicle is a nice addition to this set. It is very small, but it has some very mice details. The minifigures are great. The mosquito guy torso and legs are very detailed and look like an insects exoskeleton. His head is great with two compound eyes, the pointy nose thing, and the two antennas. His wings are also well done with details that look like they are made up of small hexagons.

Pros:
    Spaceship has an escape pod with fold out wings that can break off
    Back section of the ship can turn into a turret when the wings bend down
    Two retractable flick fire missiles
    Cockpit rotates to a level position when it flies
    The alien vehicle is a nice addition
    Great minifigures
    Comes with two space guns and an alien blaster
    Comes with some cool elements

Cons:
    Clear stickers
    The space ship probably could have needed a vertical fin on the back

Overall, I give it a 10/10! This set has a lot of functions for the money. I t is a great addition to the Galaxy Squad theme. I recommend this set to anyone.

Off The Brick: Swarm Interceptor

Written by (TFOL , silver-rated reviewer) in United States,

WOW IT'S BEEN A LONG TIME! A long time since I've written a review, that is. My first Galaxy Squad set (but my second choice, once again), this set is definitely worth the value and I will explain why:

Pros:

• The set design is very nice, and there are a lot of play features for such a small set.
    • The minifigures are spot on. The cyborg pilot guy looks like an ADU guy from the LEGO Alien Conquest theme on steroids or something. Very nice indeed. As for the "Insectoid," his printing is amazing as well, and I especially love the head and wing pieces. Reminds me of Twitch from LEGO Toy Story. :)
    • I like how the set splits in two and becomes either a mini ship or a chicken walker.
    • The flick missiles are hidden in a secret spot, which I like.

Cons:

• The set feels, unfortunately, very MEGA BLOK-ish. There are a bunch of new pieces here that make the LEGO Group seem lazy.
    • I find it unfair that this giant ship is fighting against an innocent alien just going out for a nice day on his scooter. Just because he's an alien doesn't necessarily mean he's a bad guy!
    • When the mini ship splits from the main ship, how exactly does it fly away? There aren't any rockets attached to it or anything!

Overall, this set is definitely a winner. While it isn't perfect, and while I had my heart set on the smaller set, this is very much worth the money. (Actually, I got this for Christmas, but whatever.) I highly recommend this set for the minifigs, the play value, and the piece count.

Alright, SKip-E-Productions2, wishing you a Happy New Year! I can't wait to review Legends of Chima, the new Ninjago sets, and TMNT! See you guys soon!! :)