• Hive Crawler

I can't sleep with this thing in the room

Written by (AFOL) in United States,

The Galaxy Squad's Insect Aliens largest land vehicle. The mighty hive crawler. I will keep this one short and sweet. It is a fascinating build. With some interesting parts and some really neat uses of mechanism.

Pro's -

-The shear playability of this set.

- Just pushing it across the table makes the legs move in ways that will make your skin crawl.

-The rear catapult oddly addicting and compelling as you sit there flinging pink bug larvae eggs at the dog.

- The Red Team Speeder is a really nice little build that would be equally at home in a Star Wars MOC.

-And honestly I doubt if you have anything else quite like it in your collection.

Con's -

- I really was not kidding about the "can't sleep with it in the room thing. This sucker is creepy. Like Creepier than Shelob creepy. It doesn't seem so bad in the picture. But once you see it in motion you will go for a can of Raid.

- The legs being a combination of technic axles and quite ugly Bionacle type pieces is kind of bleah! Although you don't tend to notice this detail when it is moving and creeping you out.

It's a really cool set. And worth grabbing at discount. But if you have a child of an age where really big bugs with flailing legs will give them nightmares this might not be the first choice. If however the kid loves creepy bugs. First GET HELP! Second give him the set and watch him happily play for hours until the help arrives.

• Hive Crawler

A bug hunt, man! A bug hunt!

Written by (AFOL , gold-rated reviewer) in United States,

Techno-organic stuff is not the kind of thing that gets a LEGO representation very often, so it's nice to see that Galaxy Squad is here to deliver exactly that for folks who are fans of such things (like myself). It's been a long and winding road since our friends the Insectoids went out of vogue in 1999, and in their place are the vicious bug-aliens who are making a nuisance of themselves against the (heroic?) Galaxy Squad, interstellar defenders extraordinaire.

I have to confess, though, that even as a kid, I tended to enjoy (or at least imagine) that there were was a certain moral ambiguity in terms of the post-Classic/pre-Star Wars Space subthemes. With the exception of the Big-Brother-esque Space Police, I tended to feel that there was no faction that was meant to be interpreted as being strictly "good" or strictly "evil" necessarily. Sure, promotional material tended to play off M-Tron against Blacktron, or Ice Planet against Spyrius, but there was never a clear message as to the moral inclinations of either side - not to me, at least. This is all to say that I think it's fairly clear that we're supposed to interpret the bugs as being the "bad guys", and Hive Crawler is therefore their flagship set. It is cool that the "bad guys" get a relatively big set and I'm happy for that, but there's something weird in me that always hesitates to apply such one-side labels. I dunno.

This set retails at US$70, and it's therefore a bit shocking that there's only three Minifigs here - two of whom are from the titular Galaxy Squad and just one bug alien. I suppose one might consider the little alien larvae to be "Minifigs" of sorts, but I don't think my mental schema is capable of pushing the definition that far. If you happened to pick up the very excellent Warp Stinger (70702), the squaddies here may be of passing interest to you unless you really like them because they are identical to the other red squaddies in the aforementioned set. They're not unlikable, but considering that they haven't changed a whole lot since Space Police 3 or so, I personally find them a bit boring. On the other hand, I love the bug alien, and since he's only in this set and the enormous Galactic Titan (70709), you'll be pretty pleased to have him around, I'm sure. The only thing I found a little strange was his weapons, which didn't seem to make much sense to me. Claws? Armblades? I kind of just had him hold onto them without the added attachment.

As a sideshow to the main event, the squaddies get a tiny little jet thing that they're supposed to share. It's, er, not an awful build per se, but I think only kids will enjoy swooshing around and making pew-pew noises because it's not a terrible impressive display. It does come with a lot of handy SNOT pieces, though, so it can be easily cannibalised with no issue. I guess that's a good thing.

As for the Hive Crawler herself, let me start by saying that she is one impressive brood mother. It's possible to make vague comparisons to Arachnoid Star Base (6977), but even speaking visually it's hard to say that there's anything more than a passing resemblance. It kind of stands in philosophical contrast to the squaddie vehicles - while Galaxy Squad engineering has a bit of a fetish for modular vehicles that split apart into smaller ones (including the minuscule "jet" in this set!!), the Hive Crawler is one connected piece of techno-organic muscle, and it is really impressive. For starters, what is definitely not apparent from promotional stills is that there's a lot of movement involved. A lot of love went into this model, because while things initially seem suspect with the inclusion of old "horse cart" type wheels, the mere act of pushing the Crawler across your carpet activates a very clever mechanism that moves the legs in a curiously insect-like manner - very impressive. The back also hides a sweet catapult gimmick that allows you to launch alien eggs at unsuspecting foes - very fun. The construction on the whole is very clever, and even a grown-up will be able to spend a good amount of time putting it together. The beginning seems very blocky and suspect, but the final model is definitely worth it.

That's not to say that the set is free from criticism, the most likely of which would be the presence of stickers, and there are a lot of them. Surprisingly, the squaddie ship is probably the worse offender, but those can actually be safely ignored if you're so inclined (or disinclined). The Hive Crawler is covered with them, too, but I found them pretty easy to apply with minimal hair loss, and they really do add a lot of texture to the completed model. I would say that the other downfall would be that you only get one bug alien, which is really a shame, but I guess I see the point: unlike the aforementioned Arachnoid Star Base, this set is not a "base" at all but just a really scary war machine that needs only one pilot (if any???). Bug aliens are pretty thin on the ground all around, which makes things a little unfair - especially since this is supposed to be their biggest set.

Social justice aside, if you like alien architecture, you'll get a big kick out of Hive Crawler. It's a really impressive model and a lot of fun, and you can certainly tell that a lot of care went into its creation. I definitely recommend it.

Very buggy

Written by (AFOL) in United States,

Box/Instructions

As always very nice box art, fits with the Galaxy Squad well and clearly shows the final model.

Instructions were clear, the only minor criticism is in Book 2, stage3, it would have made more sense to fit the pins in stage 2.

Great selection of parts for AFOLS. Lots of useful stuff in here and in great colours, Im a big fan of the burgundy(?) so very happy.

Minifigures

Always handy to have more space dudes and this time the bug alien is cool.

The build

The build was fun with some interesting SNOT techniques, really great to see the effort the designer has put in here. The use of technic parts is just plain excellent and creates very cool movement and play features.
    I really like how the eyes build into the triangle-esque frame and then attaches to the body using a single technic pin.

The completed model

This is one of the best of this range, I pretty much have all of the Galaxy squad sets and this may be the one that does not get broken down for parts, well maybe...

Overall opinion

I bought this set 40% off at Toyworld in Wellington, NZ so it was immediately good value.
    Kids will need some adult help to build this set as some techniques and parts placement is tricky but end result is very good. Full of fun play features as well as robust.

I highly recommend this set as there is something in here for everybody.