'Go get him, Fido!'

Written by (AFOL) in United Kingdom,

The first time i ever saw this set was when it was being reviewed on The Brick Show - and from then on (despite Stephen breaking it a couple of times), I knew I wanted it.

The good thing with this set is that it's not very large. I've found lately that some of the emergency vehicle sets are just huge, and that these struggle to fit down the tiny streets of my city of Brickford.

The van is nicely designed and has a nice contour. The compartment at the back - where the dog goes - is okay, but could have been improved by having some studs inside so that the dog could actually stay standing up. As it is, the dog will stand, but easily slips over.

The dog itself is a new design - brown with a black face and pointed ears. I think this is to look more like the German Shepherd breed.

All in all, i'm very pleased with it, although it took me quite some time to find on the high street (i'm typing this in January 2012), as the main UK stockists seem to have avoided this set.

• Police Dog Unit

Great set, but a little small!

Written by (KFOL) in Canada,

I was supposed to get this set for Christmas, but because I went downstairs to get my inhalers (medicine injector things for people with Asthma and COPD) in the middle of the night and noticed a box of LEGO, I got it early. I thought it was the box for my 7639 Camper, but then I realized it was actually 7285 Police Dog Unit. Now, lets get on to The Review!

Pros

• 1. I think it blends in with other civilian cars pretty well, and doesn't stand out like some other giant Emergency vehicles Lego has made.

• 2. There is a nice little German Shepherd dog, which, although small, looks pretty cool in person.

• 3. Im pretty sure this is just extra parts, but I got 2 handcuffs instead of 1, along with another blue 1x1 round stud that I put on the dog for fun.
    • 4. The assembly is pretty easy, and I think its my small, nimble fingers but im a bit of a perfectionist and it was pretty easy to peel the stickers off to get a second (or sometimes fourth) chance!

Cons

• 1. I guess this doesn't really count as a con, and I blame it on LEGO's Digital Designer which allows you to make a 1x1 brick look freakin' huge!, but I was surprised at how small it was.

All in all, I think this is a really great set that if you can find (and it doesn't seem to be rare according to the 1474 people that have it) you really should get! Its cheap, attractive looking, and it doesn't scream "HEY HEY LOOK AT MEEEE" If you put it beside a bunch of other cars. Maybe I shouldn't put this in here, but this is my first review, so sorry if its a bit short on information.

My Last Purchase Before 7938 & 3181

Written by (KFOL , silver-rated reviewer) in Singapore,

Welcome and today I have set 7285 Police Dog Unit. You all may know it as Police Dog Assignment and when I heard that, I realised that it is a big size, until Lego Wikia said Police Dog Unit. Anyway, onto the review.

Choosing A Set

I was actually buying the X-Large Baseplate [Grey] to improve my animation on YouTube under the username BrickTVEntertainment until I remembered that I was here to buy 7285 or 3179 Repair Truck. But I bought this first.

Box

The box holds the normal City boxart. Again we see the HEY! [I love it, always!] that has been appearing since 2010 City sets. Like any other LEGO sets we have the thumb tabs to open the box.

Instructions

I have a problem with the instructions. On the part where it tells you to put the blue 1x1 control stick on the final pages it tells you to put it in the 5th stud from front [oooooo]

^

Place here

The box shows it attached to the second stud from front [oooooo]

^

Place Here [According to box]

The booklet is strange and unusual as it doesn't have the sets advertisement. Though it still has the Nielsen ad and the parts inventory list. Other than the 1x1 control stick-stud misshap it is clear to understand.

Contents

I don't remember but I think it was 3 or 2, maybe. The biggest polybag has the large parts and the smaller on the smaller bags like ussual.

I love this set because of the parts, great for MOCs. The 1x4 with 2 studs is new to the 2011 Police sets. the 4x4 [maybe] flat with no studs in the middle is new too. A rare part is the policeman's white U.S cap, it has appeared in 2010 but this is the first time in white. Also the 2x4 flat tile with clips along with the 1x2 with handle which make up the opening police dog carriage function.

Minifigure

The policeman is nothing new but the dog is the new one previously featured in the 7279 Police Minifigure Collection.

Build

The build is entertaining. This is a medium sized build for me.

Model

The model is good. A midsized van for the police department. The use of 1x2 flat with 1 stud to hold the dog carriage is creative, good job LEGO!

Recommendations

I recommend the price to be lowered to the same as the 3178 Seaplane.

Story Corner

I bought this set to expand my police force, like in the case of 8401 City Minifigure Collection

I build this at night in the car. It will be my last set before 3181 Passenger Plane and 7938 Passenger Train. Due to the immensive price of both here. This is the last for 2 months.

Conclusion

Buy this if you want a police dog unit. If to have the one from the old 2008 Police Station this isn't necessary unless you want another one.

A really neat set!

Written by (Unspecified) in United States,

I think this is a really neat little set. I got it for Xmas and I play with it all the time. I don't know if any pieces are exclusive or that, but other than that the pieces themselves were kinda boring. The minifig was a nice addition to my other police figs. The dog was cool, I thought. The door in the back falls off a lot, but it was a good idea. I wish it would've come with a crook on a motorcycle or something, too. Other than that, I thought it was a really great little set! (the price value is good, I definitely thought)

Such a Neat Little Set!

Written by (TFOL) in United Kingdom,

Okay, so at school I got a £10 amazon voucher, and spent it on this and the police motorcycle (which hasn't arrived yet and I will review it), and I have to say, 7285 is a great little set.

The Price:

I paid £8.09 for this, which is 90p off the official retail price, a pretty good price I thought.

The Box:

Standard City Box, showing city skyline and the sets features.

The Parts:

Some nice new parts, which are the new dog, the trans-dark blue 1x4 tile and the 1x4 tile with studs on end. But other than that pretty standard pieces. But the dog cage windows are always good for MOCing.

The Minifig and Dog:

The Minifig is a standard police figure, but has the new cap in white. I'm building an army of police figures but I only have 2 robbers lol. But the dog is the clear winner in this set. It has wonderful new prints on it's face and I love it so much, and, It doesen't have to be used as just a police canine. I can give it to my lego families!

The Truck:

Nice to add another police vehicle to my collection, you can never have to big of a police force, and it's nicely designed but it didn't look like they bothered with wheel arches for the rear wheels, but oh well.

Overall:

A lovely little set for under £10. I highly suggest going out and buying it. I give it a 5/5