excellent

Written by (AFOL , silver-rated reviewer) in Australia,

i bought this kit yesterday and after reading other reviews of it i knew i would love it or hate it .

in fact its the best kit i have built so far this year and looks terrific once complete . it does have its flaws as mentioned by other reviewers , eg the stickers and bridge beening loose etc but all up its not too bad a set ,

pros

great design

floats in water

great use of space eg cargo deck , cabin etc

cons

pricey for wat u get

needs a few more police on board or a police jetski

flimsy at times

all up i would recomend as a display model

Pretty good.

Written by (TFOL , silver-rated reviewer) in United States,

This set took me 30 minutes to an hour to build. This set is a basic re-release of Lego 7899 Police boat, which means it doesn't look exactly like it, but it has the same basic purpose. For the number of pieces, this has a little-more-than-average price. The build is fun, as the pieces snap very easily together, which is rare if not a duplo set. In my opinion, the elements are more rare than some other sets. The playability is high, as you can change the persons clothes, catch the prisoner and put him in the jail under the deck. One flaw, the prisoner needs to lay down in order the door to fully close. That is the reason I give this a 4. I really recommend this to anybody who likes Lego.

Not Too Bad...

Written by (TFOL) in Australia,

The build was really joyful. Yeah not much to build really, but I think it's nice that you kind of get a head start with the massive boat-base plate, so it's pretty good for lazy builders or younger kids. This set did have numbered bags, even though it's kind of pointless for a set with 172 parts, but I guess it's somewhat easier to sort out the pieces. The set took me roughly 15-20 minutes to assemble and that's including the unboxing part and putting on the stickers. If you've lost the instructions, check out: http://us.service.lego.com/en-US/BuildingInstructions/default.aspx

Figures were okay, but not as good as I expected. Like 2 cops for such a massive boat is kind of weak and I really think they should of included a third one. One of the biggest down falls to this set though, is the figures are not exclusive at all. I know that this is not the only set that has this problem, but it does apply to this set as well, especially considering that this set is $40USD and some people might like to get the value out of that thing. Like for instance, the criminal's face in this set is the exact same as the one that was made almost 7 years ago in set 7245, which is pretty disappointing. Take a look at the parts, mini figures, stickers, counterparts and much more on: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=7287-1

Now, for the set itself. The set is just massive and I like the looks of it. I think the blue and the white colours are what make this set stand out a lot. I also think it's pretty awesome how the boat can float, but what I've always wondered is if you put the boat in water, wouldn't the stickers on the side get wet and start to peel off? Anyway I'm pretty sure it would, but I haven't tried it yet. The thing that's kind of a big let down though, is that this set does not come with a motor or any other type of power functions. Now that really annoys me, considering that all the previous boat models did have that, so that is a big trip right there. Now I know this is not the only set LEGO has cheated on so far, but this is one of the more obvious ones right there. Like the previous boat model, set 7899 was only $25USD and it did come with power functions and everything and it even had more pieces, as oppose to this set which is $40USD and no motor or anything. More info on the previous model: http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7899

Let's start of with the front. Now there is not much to the front, except some good amount of space to stick some figures. There are also some storage for 2 water equipment and there are also some lights that swivel up and down.

Just above that, there is a panel that is on an angle. The panel is on a hinge and it can open up, to reveal a jail for the prisoner. This part unfortunately is a bit rushed and the figure doesn't really fit when standing or sitting. The only way you could fit him is if you lay him down, but I think that's pretty lame.

To the back of that, is another storage jail sort of thing. This one is actually for the prisoner's red speedboat. Now I do want to mention that there is a thin layer of wall between the 2 jails, so they're not joint together interior wise. This panel is not on a hinge, it just lays on a couple of smoothish pieces and it's doesn't fall off too much either. The speedboat always rattles when you put it in the jail storage, no matter what way you put it in it doesn't clip into the surface.

In the middle, is the driver's seat, where he is supposed to steer the boat. There is a seat for the driver and some controls to go along with it. Now what I find a real pain, is that even the littlest things in this set appeared to be stickers. There is also a trans-light blue wind-shield covering the front of the driver's seat as well.

On the very top, there is a thin layer of plate covering the very top of the driver's seat. Now if you want to remove your driver it is recommended that you take this off, but you don't have to. There is also a search light, which is fairly simple just swivels 360 degrees, but it does sometimes fall off.

There is also a bottom cabin to this and to access that you've got to take off the whole top section, connected from the bigger trans-blue wind-shield piece. Yeah not much to say about the inside, except there is a bed in there for one of the cops to sleep on and that's just about it. I think they should of included like a desk or something for the cabin, because it's kind of an empty space and I'm sure cops have more important work to do than sleeping!

In the cabin, there is also some storage on either wall and that's where you can store some of your police accessories.

To the back of that, is quiet an empty space and it leads to the back of the boat. Again good amount of space to stick some extra cops, otherwise it's pretty empty. There is also an adjustable ladder attached to some guard rails that is on either side. There are also some yellow bricks that I'm guessing are seats or benches? They look kind of like hay bail mainly for the colour.

At the very back, there are several accessories that you can use to turn one of your cops into a diver. Now I think that's a pretty cool idea except they're only connected by a hook, so they always fall off. There are also some ladders in the back, but they're not adjustable. When you've turned you're guy into a diver, you can simply put the other accessories onto the hook, so you don't loose them.

PROS:

- Really strong and durable

- Easy to build and play with, great for younger kids

- Great colour scheme, looks fantastic!

- Boat actually floats

- Lots of accessories

CONS:

- The level of detail is very low, pretty much no interior detail at all

- Should of came with at least a third cop

- Not really worth getting from a collectors point of view, due to the lame parts and figures

- Really terrible price per piece ratio

- Pricey

You probably shouldn't get this set if you're over the age of 11 or 12, you might not really be interested unless you are absolutely in love with LEGOS, like me. This set is worth getting though if you've never had a set with one of those boat-base plates, otherwise it's not really worth getting due to the poor and lazy design. Don't go out and buy it in my opinion unless you can find it on sale.

If you want more of my opinion on this set, go to my You Tube channel, it's where you can watch my reviews on all sets I own: http://www.youtube.com/user/legoreviewer778

If this review was helpful to you, press "yes"!

Just left the port...

Written by (AFOL , gold-rated reviewer) in United States,

Just got this set at our local TRU and it was 30% off ( thanks for the info. brickset :D ) so i ended up paying around $28. This was actually my first city boat and kinda excited to build it. I was amazed how large the haul of the ship was... BIG. Then when I checked the plastic bags and saw the pieces inside, i was kinda ready to be disappointed. Built the ship and it was alright, nothing really fancy and no wow factor for me. The best part of the ship for me is the drivers area ( dont know what's it called :D ). The design on front deck of the ship's does not really make sense to me, its like they just put what they can put in there and bam. Would have been better if the put an engine to make the boat more powerful. Other than those things, it's alright for me, but like i said no wow factor. Im glad i got this at an awesome price as I would be more disappointed if its full price. But hey, I do bet its hard to design lego vehicles, so I still have my greatest appreciation for the designers who worked hard to make this police boat. I guess this set is something you might love or something you might dislike after buying it... the choice is yours

• Police Boat

Great looking boat, not much value

Written by (AFOL , gold-rated reviewer) in United States,

While the look of this boat suits a NY, Miami or LAPD fast pursuit boat and looks great, there are some drawbacks to consider.

First, the price. At US$40 for not many pieces or minifigs, it's a lot to ask. It may turn out to be a gamble on the part of LEGO to see if we will bite at such large preformed structures.

Second, the hull is a single piece PVC plastic shell with a single-piece formed lug covered structure to build upon. Rather than attempting to make LEGO float in a tub (and lose parts and stickers down the drain, a better method may have been to make the boat hull modular. A separate bow, midsection, and stern would not only increase kit elements, but it would allow us to build larger or smaller ships to fill out a harbor.

Third, the superstructure is kind of wobbly. Not terrible, but you can't zoom this thing around on your carpet. Once it tips, you need to put it all back together.

Fourth, it seems to be missing about 3 minifigs. Where's the crew? Crook, captain and cop - that's it! For the price, I would like to have seen some extras thrown in.

On to the good parts.

First, the inclusion of the scuba fins,tanks, and dive helmet was nice. Not normally seen on pursuit boats, it will make a nice salvage boat now. That was a thoughtful addition.

Second, the holding cell below decks is nice. It's easily accessible through the hinged cover.

Third, onboard JetSki storage is nice. It will make a great place to store lots of extras.

Fourth, the preformed hull (while a negative) is a a solidly built element. It's my first, and hopefully my only, one of these. That makes it unique. The wrap around windshields are a nice touch and unique for me (the curved glass is the same on the Off-Road Fire Truck and Boat set, but that one is white. The life rings were also the first ones for me.

Personally, I wouldn't buy this set unless it was on sale. It was for me here in Taiwan (strange, for a 2011 set). You won't get excited about the build, the part count is low, but there is some playability and it adds a solid look to your harborfront. I can't wait to see the new harbor kits this year.