tough as nails

Written by (AFOL , silver-rated reviewer) in Australia,

this has to be the best vehicle set in police lego so far , even if just a remake of a previous version .

it was a fairly quick and easy build and looks very mean and tough as a transport truck and looks great as a emergency base or drug and alcohol test station .

the police bike is fantastic as a partner to it and perfect for chasing the bad guys .

pros

large solid kit

great as a base

police bike

cons

stickers got annoying

little red car coulda been bigger and meaner looking

fully recommend this kit

A Great Set, Worth My $45

Written by (TFOL , silver-rated reviewer) in United States,

Introduction:

This is a great set. I spent $45 on it, so question is, is it worth the money? Review in short: YES. With all the great features and playability, this set was fun for a TFOL like me, and would be great for younger and older fans alike.

Building the Set:

This set was very easy to build, like many Lego City sets, too easy to build. I found no mistakes in the instructions, and the set came together very well. The only problem was of course color differentiation, and I don't remember the manuals showing us where to put a few of the stickers.

Features and "The Good"

The main feature of this set is the opening roof and doors of the trailer. There's also an unrealistic prison cell at the back, which adds to the playablility, but not the realism. The cab is nice enough, but with a gaping whole on the back of the cover for it. Anyways, good things about the set are the playability, doors, extra space, and the little red car of course!(not being much bigger than the Lego City Small Car set)

Minifigures and "The Bad"

The figures in this set were weak. Being only three, I expected a lot more from them. All we get is a decent detective, regular motorcop, and the same criminal we get in the Police Minifigure collection! On to the bad, of course the figures, the motorcycle being the same as every other one in Lego City, the empty room where it says 'police' on the door, and the lack of interior furniture.

Final Thoughts:

This set has many cons, however I really do think the pro's outweighed them for this set. With the great play value, nice look, and overall greatness, I think this set will look great in my Lego City, and yours too.

• Mobile Police Unit

7288 Mobile Police Unit - An impressive addition to the City police arsenal.

Written by (AFOL , silver-rated reviewer) in United States,

This is my second set after reintroducing myself to Lego building. It probably should have been my first. It is solid, large, attractive and the build was very enjoyable. It includes a number of unusual elements and accessories that lend themselves well to other creative building projects. This is my first police item for my city, and short of the police station itself I couldn't have picked better.

Pros

• At just over 11 cents American per piece, this set represents an impressive value and is priced generously.
    • The design of this set is very imaginative and would lend itself well to play. The fold out walls and tip up roof on the trailer allow total access to the surveillance center and the other doors are placed so that nothing within the trailer is difficult to reach.
    • Some of the details on this set are above and beyond what I expect from Lego. As an ex-trucker I appreciate the details on the rig in particular. The molded airfoil on top of the cab over truck is in keeping with practical design and the smoke stacks behind the sleeper (which only lacks a bed to make the tractor spot on) made me chuckle. I particularly enjoyed building the headlight/grill assembly. The little coffee pot in the trailer is a hoot!

Cons

• While I appreciate how accessible the surveillance center is by way of the fold out walls and flip up roof, the combination of these elements makes the trailer a bit weak. I imagine that if this vehicle were involved in rigorous play several pieces of it would commonly fall apart.
    • The instructions did not direct where to place three of the decals. You have to figure it out by looking at the box and deciding where you like them best.

Overall, I have to call this set fantastic as it was fun to build, looks great, was an excellent value and implies a story with the included elements and minifigures. If you enjoy the police aspect of the City theme, you will probably love this set.

Simply great.

Written by (AFOL , gold-rated reviewer) in United States,

My wife picked this up at the Carrefour store in Neihu, Taipei yesterday on sale. Yes, a new kit on sale.First off, this is one of the best vehicles in my collection. It certainly has the most playability of any single vehicle. The trailer opens beautifully into a full-blown command center. The roof and both doors open smoothly and there is no sagging.The jail cell in back is great. My 3 and 5yo daughters have learned what a jail is now. :)The build was fun with some pieces I hadn't seen before, and some others I haven't seen since the late seventies. The motorcycle was just about like the standalone bike, but without the saddlebags. At least I have one for each girl now. The "getaway" car was fun and both girls like to chase the bad guy.Overall, great kit and one that will be well-used.

UPDATE 1/3/11: TRU in Taipei has the new police truck (2011 set) and I closely compared the two. Not sure why LEGO released another mobile police truck since this one was so good. The new one has a side that flips up, but this one has an opening roof and double-swinging doors. Very cool. Get this one instead.

Mobile Police Unit Review

Written by (AFOL , gold-rated reviewer) in United States,

2011 saw me looking to expand and update my LEGO City Police Collection. It's one of those themes that's a staple for anyone collecting and building a LEGO City. So it's good that every few years, LEGO releases another series of Police sets for any kids and adult collectors looking add to or start a LEGO City.

Box/Instructions

The box isn't too outstanding, cardboard and clear pictures of what theme it's for and what you're getting in this set.

The instruction booklets have clear, illustrated step-by-step pictures for each stage of the build, complete at the end with a list of all the parts in the set for any possible replacements for lost pieces later on.

In all, there are 408 pieces in the set, which when considering the number of minifigures and some specialty pieces like the motorcycle, it's not a bad deal over all for the price of the set at $45 when it first came out.

Also, love them or hate them, there are stickers in this set, of which a child may need and want an adult to help them place.

Minifigures

In all, there are three minifigures, which isn't bad. I'd rather have a couple of figures and a really good build. With having collected so many police sets over the years and building a few from a LEGO pick-a-brick feature, any extras I want to include in this set for play or display, I can easilly do so.

You've got a Police Motorcycle Officer, a brown haired blue shirt uniformed police minifigure who drives the truck and operates the computers inside the Mobile Unit and then of course, the crook or bad guy that the police chase down to capture or recapture.

The build and completed model

In all, I'm very happy and satisfied with this set. I can see a child being busy for hours with this set given all the features in it. The radar that can be lifted up and rotated around, the jail cell on the back of the Mobile Unit Trailer, the doors and top that can be swung open for easier access inside the Mobile Unit, the storage place up front for all the small builds like cones, handcuffs, fence and even magnifying glass that can be stored there.

The Trailer has a stand that can be put down so the truck can pull away from it. There's my new favorite of the new style police motorcycles and the red car that the thief is driving for playing out any chase scenes.

Summary

Yes this set is similar to an earlier Police Set that came out around 2008-2009 and has a few more features. For me, I don't see that as a problem when considering that the City themes and LEGO in general are geared towards children and every few years, there's bound to be a new group of kids wanting to build their Police Collection and if they missed out in one year, there's a new series coming out. So I don't see the apparent redundancy of the Police theme being that bad.

If you're not collecting City or feel you've got enough Police sets and this one is too similar to an older one someone may already have or that comes out, it's all good. That is the beauty of LEGO, with so many sets and themes available, there's something for everyone who collects and to pick and choose from.