• Passenger Plane

I never thought I'd buy this set...

Written by (AFOL , bronze-rated reviewer) in United States,

...especially after first seeing it when it came out. My initial impression was that the line between Duplo and Lego had finally been blurred into oblivion. There were too many big pieces to make this any fun at all. What was Lego thinking? I liked the scale, but the nose, tail, and wings were certainly an about-face to everything I had ever come to expect from the company. Sometimes, in life, the first impression is not always the right one, and the more I would look at this set, the more I wanted to have it; and, now that it is a part of mine and my son's collection, I regard it as one of my favorites. Why the change of heart? Simple. Lego really only made some very large specialty pieces for the set; everything else about it was distinctly Lego, especially the attention to detail and the clever assembly.

Pros

• Aesthetics/Scale. The very parts I hated about this plane have become the main reason why I love this set so much. The sculpted nose, tail and wings lend to a very sleek, fast look, that actually makes the plane look realistic, and that will always be a plus in my book. I always wanted bigger airplanes from Lego as a kid, and they never really delivered until my son was of age to begin building himself. The fact that this set exists proves that some wishes are fulfilled, even if they come about 15 years too late. Finally, Lego made a plane that could fit two pilots side-by-side, and had two rows of passengers WITH an aisle between them.
    • Painted nose/tail assemblies. Lego did the right thing with this set and had the logos and striping that overran onto the nose and tail sections painted, rather than have you apply them as stickers. This really gives the plane's color-scheme a more legitimate look, rather than one that is forced on by stickers that may or may not line up properly. Unfortunately, they didn't have the sense to stick with it, as every airplane since has decals that blend the color schemes onto these parts.
    • Interior. Although it may not be as polished as it could be (room for a lavatory?), the interior has many nice features, including a detailed cockpit, first class and economy class seating, and a flight-attendant/baggage area to the rear with beverage cart. Again, given that previous aircraft made by Lego were only wide enough to seat one person and had no aisle, this new scale is a definite bonus for playability and realism.

Cons

• Where are all the passengers? Apparently, Lego minifigures must be made of gold or elephant tusks, as the company has certainly sold us short on bodies in this set. This is a plane begging to be filled with all kinds of characters - and you get two and just one pilot. What commercial plane doesn't have a co-pilot, at least, and would it really kill Lego to have a flight attendant and one or two more passengers? Even if it bucked up the original price $15, adding about 4 more characters would have done nothing to hurt the sales of this set, but I'm assuming Lego figured we already had enough eager passengers at home from our other sets, or would be willing to shell out the dough for more (I think they're right about that, but I'd like to believe I have a good argument).
    • Landing gear. Yes, I fawned over the aesthetics of this airplane already, but I will say that the landing gear is rather atrocious, especially the main gear below the wings. Lego provided us with functionality, but threw out any appeal in the process. The gear is sparse, just enough to serve its purpose, and it just hangs there, unable to tuck up, and is really just down-right ugly from all angles.

Apparently I am not the only person who really likes airplanes and happens to like Legos, as this set is very hard to find, and the ones you do come across are quite pricey. If you are in the market for one, get ready for a bid war that may take you over $100 for a used set, or shell out $200 for a new one (I should have bought 20 of these 5 years ago as an investment). But I firmly believe that this set is worth the extra you may need to pay to get your hands on it, especially if you like the airport subgroup as this airplane is like the Lego flagship for that.

A good set overall

Written by (TFOL) in Canada,

I like this set. The plane is absolutely huge and is very sturdy. It has some nice features like the boarding stairs and the beverage cart. It needs at least two or three more minifigures as there is seating for 12 but only two passengers. Some people are bothered by the one-piece wings but I don't really care. The plane has 4 engines and looks a lot nicer than the plane in the airport set released the same year.

Pros

• Very large
    • Seats 12
    • Serving cart
    • Sturdy
    • Nice doors
    • Attractive

Cons

• A few stickers
    • Not a lot of assembly required and it can be repetitive
    • Needs more minifigures

This set is a great addition to any city, or to replace the less attractive plane found in the airport set. The price per piece count might seem high, but it contains very large pieces that make it easier for young builders and much more sturdier. It has a few shortcomings that can easily be added from your own collection.

A great BIG airplane

Written by (TFOL , bronze-rated reviewer) in Mexico,

I don´t actually have this set but a friend has it and he is selling it to me, I build it and played with it for all the day I was at his home and all I can say is that it is an excellent set.

Pros:

*Very large

*Can fit like 16 passengers

*Has first and turist class

*Beverage cart

*Two doors

*Stairway to enter the plane

Cons:

*No one to pull the beverage cart

*Only one pilot(It fits two)

*The wings block the way in the middle of the seats

I would give this set a 5 out of 5.

HUGE

Written by (Unspecified) in United States,

Pros:

• -Very big
    • -Lots of space inside
    • -Not too difficult to build
    • -Several nice details, like the stairs
    Cons:
    • -Wheels don't work on carpet
    • -Stickers
    • -Too many large pieces
    • -Not enough minifigures

Overall a very cool set. Price was good for a model of this size, as I would have expected such a large set to cost more.

Talk about high flying

Written by (TFOL) in United States,

Building Experience

This set can get a little tricky to build. The doors don't stay on well untill you get the roof on. The inside is very simple to build. The windows surrond both sides of the plane. The cockpit is actually very cool looking and is pretty simple to build.

I gave this a 4 on parts because it comes w/ a lot of the same windows AND FLAT PIECES. The cockpit and the bottom is pretty nice 'cause you don't find pieces like that much. The wings are nice too.

I gave it a 5 on playability because you can do a lot with it. I use it for a plane 4 the army to paracute out of. I attached some turrets to it from the at-te and had a big battle over the city.

Price

For 40 dollars this is a well priced set. You can buy some pun set for 50 or get this at toys r us. your choice.

pros

• good size
    • good price
    • decent parts
    • good playability

cons

• doors fall of
    • wings shouldn't overlap inside
    • roof doesn't stay on
    • bottom is not stable (put 2 by 6 flats on bottom Fixed it:)