• Anakin Skywalker and Sebulba's Podracers

Now This Is Podracing! (For the right price of course)

Written by (TFOL) in United States,

The famous podracing scene from The Phantom Menace has been a favorite of mine ever since I was a little kid. Like it has been mentioned in my other reviews, I missed out on A LOT of larger sets during my childhood, and likewise I have been purchasing their far better remakes the past 5 years. Now I intended to buy this set when it first came out, but balked at the 90 dollar price tag. I understand that there are 810 pieces, but a majority of these are rather small. Luckily they weren't selling very well at my local Walmart and were put on clearance for $55! So I quickly bought this set, saved myself $35, and had a blast overall.

Box/Instructions

Nothing special about the box or instructions.

Like I mentioned earlier, a lot of the pieces are smaller than your average set. There are barely any plates and bricks, and a lot of the parts are technic to support the large undistributed weight (especially in Sebulba's podracer). The color orange tends to be a rare color, so if you are a parts cannibal you might want to get this set.

Minifigures

Not all of the minfigures were new for me, as I owned the previous version of Obi Wan from 7203 Jedi Defense I, and young Anakin from 7131 Anakin's Podracer. Naturally these two minifigs look way better in this set, except for the fact that Obi Wan doesn't come with any hair. I imagine this has to do with his unique hair cut in Episode I, but it seemed like kind of a rip off in my eyes.

Watto was definitely a minifig I was looking to get my hands on, and I must say he looks great and very film accurate. The only problem I have with Episode I sets (and minifigs) is that many of the characters introduced in that film were systematically killed off or never appeared again, due to the 10 year gap between Episodes I and II. Watto has a brief appearance in Episode II, but he really only fits in with Episode I sets (which I don't own that many of), so he sits next to this set, hoping for a Watto's Shop kit to come around...

Wald is yet another Episode I fringe character that I will probably never see a use for outside of displaying with this set. I always wondered why George Lucas didn't make this young Rodian Greedo instead, as it would have made Episode I slightly more interesting. He looks good enough compared to his film counterpart, but he only has like 1 minute of screen time.

Sebulba is probably the most interesting minifig here, considering the fact that he doesn't have a single regular minifig piece on him. I figure that if Lego hadn't released him with the Tatooine Planet set, more people would have been more pressed to get him. It isn't too hard to balance Sebulba on his hind legs, and his printing is VERY accurate to the film. It never occurred to me as a kid, but how in the world could this guy ever have an actual hatred and rivalry towards a ten year old slave boy?

The build

The build was very interesting to me, as both podracers are worlds apart in design, size and color. Anakin's podracer is small and nimble, and naturally the build was as well. Unlike the 1999 version of this vehicle, the fins don't fall off all of the time and are well secured. Sebulbas pod was probably twice as fun to build, and had a mixture of technic and standard building for the big turbines powering his monstrous pod.

The completed model

Both pods come with identical stands, which are great for display or sliding across the carpet. The set is a little hard to display unless you have a shelf with considerable width, and you might find that together the pods take up a lot of precious display room as well. I also might add that separating the two pods would be like splitting Abbott and Costello.

Overall opinion

This set brings back fond memories of cheering Anakin on during the Mos Espa Podrace in my pajamas, and it also gives me good memories in that I saved $35.

Pros:

5 new-ish minifigures

Great for display

Rare colors and pieces

Cons:

Heavy Price

Wald seems out of place

1 out of 1 person thought this review was helpful.

Anakin's and Subulba's Podracers

Written by (KFOL) in Canada,

A yes the podracers one our should I say 2 of my best sets. It comes with 5 minifigures: Watto Anakin Subulba obi and anys freind 2011 set 120 dollars it says it too short im havingfun rate 1 please I dont kare T^&G

perfecy

VBUHKNJLvcyd9vcywbdeuhwebudcb9ebdcyuqbedyucbeucbuybcyubsycubuyyuqbdcuybcubsycusbcyubsycbybyqscisncijsancj

This review has been rated unhelpful.

Awesome!

Written by (AFOL , silver-rated reviewer) in United Kingdom,

Overall

This is a beast of a set. I managed to pick it up half price via another member on here and it is huge value! It is a really enjoyable build, it looks fantastic when done and has loads of playability for kids. I love the scale of the set also. The pod racers look like the stupidly fast, big racing machines that they are. It is currently on display in our living room and just look the business! The stands are excellent.

Minifigs

Really cool figs, particualrly Sebulba and Watto. Young Anakin has a fantastic expression. A couple of the parts are of Chinese origin but I'm not good enough to tell the difference.

810 parts in all. Great colours with loads of orange flats in there. I particularly like the clear technic beams. I haven't come across them before but they look brilliant in this set. The huge orange engine casings work really well.

Build

Loved it! 6 numbered bags so there are never too many pieces to hunt through. There is some repitition in the build but I didn't mind it. The engines have to be similiar after all. It all fits together fantastically well. Lovely detail on the engines and the 'reins' fir beatifully well. The use of the technic beams to bring it all together is well thought out and the fact the Lego have nice stands to put them back on when you have finished racing is a very good idea indeed.

Pros

• Cool minifigs
    • Fantastic playability
    • Awesome build
    • Some unusual parts
    • They look excellent on display

Cons

• Full price is a bit steep

Buy it and enjoy it! If you get the chance to snap this up on offer then do so. If you are a fan of Star Wars or just want a fun build this is a top set. I loved it and I hope you do too.

Race is on...

Written by (AFOL , gold-rated reviewer) in United States,

Got this set from our local TRU here in Oregon, I was about to get it when I got the 20% off on one item promo, then TRU gave 25% off on some Star Wars sets. Sweeeet deal even if TRU usually jack-ups their lego prices.

On to the review, minifigures are awesome and most of them are exclusive on a podracing set. First time I got a Sebulba, Wald and Watto figures. Obi-wan is a usual figure, but Anakin's racing face with the goggles is fantastic. The build on both podracers are intricate and lego gave justice to both vehicles. I loved how they used clear bricks to connect the Podracer Machine to the pod, unlike the old set I see. One thing they could have improved though is instead of using flesh colored pegs, they could have use see through as well. Also the vehicles are well balanced (as it should be) and is actually removable from the stand for playability. Would have been better if the vertical brick that connects the stand to the pod machines is foldable or removable, but then again they are awesome as they are, swooshable is fantastic. Sticker is always a minus to me, as having the lego pieces printed makes it more personalized to that set. Other than that i am very very satisfied with this set, would love it if the price is a bit lower but hey, it is what it is. Atleast if we wait enough, there will be a deal to get this sets and other sets at a bit lower price right.

I would highly recommend this set for those who love the Star Wars movies and lego collectors. I dont think lego will me the other podracers on the movie but that would be awesome to complete the entire racing scene in the movie. I don't know if lego just did the backing board for the building instructions, but that would have been very nice if it was continued to all lego sets. Mine got folded in the middle, and the edge got folded really hard. One more thing i liked on this set is that it has only one instruction. I dont know about other people, but i preffer only one instruction regardless if its thick or not.

7962 - Anakin Skywalker and Sebulba's Podracers

Written by (TFOL , gold-rated reviewer) in United Kingdom,

Well, I have to say this is one set that I have been looking forward to getting since I first saw the preliminary images of it, and I am once again delighted, not only has this set met my expectations, but it has far surpassed them in every way! The Minifigures are brilliant, the playability is fantastic, and the aesthetics of the models are incredible. I do own the older large Podracing set, 7171 - Mos Espa Podrace, and this is simply an unbelievable step-up from that, every aspect of the set is better (except perhaps the price) and I love it!

Box/Instructions

The box is spectacular featuring Sebulba and Anakin in their Podracers side by side, inevitably Sebulba can be seen cheating, as one of the four hidden saw blades has begun chopping into Anakin's Podracer's right engine. The background is a blurred image of the desert flats part of the Podracing course which really gives the illusion of speed and looks amazing. Standing (or hovering) dangerously close to the two racers are the other three Minifigures in the set, which takes us nicely on to the shot of the five figures included, standing alongside one another, with of course a stamp telling us that the figures are almost all new.

There is surprisingly only a single instruction book, but it was nevertheless perfect with no mistakes and I had no missing pieces.

The parts are one of the three components that make this set as good as it is, firstly, the sheer variation of parts, there are lots of plates, many engine parts and even more pieces in new colours! The Technic beams and struts are wonderful in this translucent colour and I think these will become very desirable parts in future, also the fact that there is just so much orange in this set makes this model very attractive to people who hope to get as many orange parts as possible to build their own creations.

However I find the inclusion of eight gold long staff pieces, and four shorter gold staff pieces the highlight of the parts selection, they have come in some Ninjago sets quite recently, but I still just love the look of them and they look amazing when they are incorporated into Sebulba's Podracer.

Minifigures

Another of the three factors which make this set great are the Minifigures, they are absolutely brilliant, all new (although Anakin also appears in set 7877 - Naboo Starfighter) and all fantastic. I will start with the young Anakin Skywalker, this figure is identical to that in the Naboo Starfighter, however this one features a beautifully printed helmet which is very highly detailed and quite accurate to the helmet worn in the film. The torso is highly detailed and includes back printing, like many recent Minifigures. The legs are plain and short as you would expect and the head is double sided, one side shows a very determined face with some flying goggles and the other shows an innocent but serious face with freckles. Obi-Wan Kenobi is also a nice figure, albeit a little out of place in this scene. He includes tan legs, a nicely detailed torso with back printing, and a double sided head, one with a wry smile and the other with a serious look on his face, both have a slightly odd chin but it does not take away from the figure as a whole as it is mostly obscured from view by the brown hood. That's right, the Lego company's apparent phobia of giving their young Obi-Wan figures hair has resurfaced, at only one or two points in the film did Obi-Wan wear his hood, but there it is. Of course the Minifigure also includes a brown cape and a blue lightsaber. Next is Wald, again, the inclusion of this figure leaves me a little confused as to why he is present, I mean, he barely speaks in the film and when he does talk, he is not worth listening to. However, whatever Lego's reasons for including this figure (most probably an excuse to use the Rodian head again) he is very nice, with a very well detailed torso, short tan legs and a Rodian head in a new colour, unlike what we saw with Greedo or Onaconda Farr.

The two highlight figures however are Watto and Sebulba, two of the best Minifigures in this latest wave of sets. Sebulba is lovely, he is made up of three parts, the body and head is one piece, then the two legs are separate poseable pieces. The printing is fantastic and very detailed with some rather evil looking slit eyes, flying goggles and a full grey body suit, just like the one from the Phantom Menace. It also features a grip on the Dug's arms which is capable of clutching regular bar pieces. Of course this newer figure blows the older lump of plastic out of the water, as does Watto, who is also a great addition to your collection and consists of a pair of sand blue short legs, a sand blue plain torso, and a very detailed torso and head piece which is wonderful, it is slightly rubbery and features detailing including belts and his classic jagged, ugly teeth. This Minifigure is also a huge improvement on the older one, which was just one colour and had almost no detailing in the mould either.

The build

The build is hugely entertaining, it took me about two hours and is almost never repetitive or boring! Some of the building techniques used in these models are great, especially in Sebulba's Podracer, where the structure and detail is fantastic (not to say that Anakin's Podracer isn't good too, but I felt Sebulba's stood out for me). On occasion there were repetitive moments, but with a set like this there are bound to be, the engines on each Podracer are of course almost an exact mirror image of the other engine, but nonetheless, a great build experience to be had here.

The completed model

Once the set is built you realise how perfect these vehicles actually are. Despite the use of a huge number of stickers (some thirty-one) the models look incredible. I know I keep saying it but I find it difficult to express how much detail there is in this, everywhere there seems to be an elegant curve or exposed engine part meaning that which ever way you look at each Podracer from, you will always be astounded by the level of thought that must have gone into designing this set.

What this set does lack is features, there is really only one or perhaps two, them being the ability to adjust Anakin's air intakes, and to reveal Sebulba's hidden saw blades used for slicing up other racers! I find the four saw blades very interesting as I was keen to see how they folded away, but they are very well hidden in person. You might think that the apparent lack of features would put off younger buyers, but I think not as the models are both very swooshable and sturdy, far more so than in the earlier Podracers sets.

Anyway, I have been eager to say it and now here is my chance, the engines on both Podracers are unbelievable, one of the most detailed (there's that word again) parts of any Lego set I have, pure brilliance, you cannot truly appreciate it until you have it in your hands.

Summary

Of course this set is absolutely without a doubt the best Podracing related set yet released by Lego, I have not got a single fault with it, except perhaps the number of stickers you get, but to me that is very minor. For those of you concerned about the fairly hefty price tag on this set, I wouldn't worry about it, I can just about guarantee that once you have it this will become a favourite. It is just about the all round perfect set, for play or display, and that is why of course I have no choice but to award this set...

Overall - 10/10