• Better late than never...

Written by (Unspecified) in Singapore,

First of all, I think that whichever designed the set deserves an award. It’s an absolute masterpiece! I’ve had this set for some time but never really got down to building this until I saw one on display in a store. Having the set and not opened it, I didn’t realize how awesome it looks till I see it with my own eyes.

Before I embarked on the build itself, I checked some reviews for this set and was quite taken aback by the very mixed reviews. During the build itself, I understood why. Because there were times where I felt the build was actually pretty difficult. My last build is 7676 Republic Gunship and on the scale of difficult, this set is definitely higher.

500+ small parts! Patience and parts management was the key so a smooth building process. And the magic behind this set… Rubber bands! Lots of them! In total there was about 15 of them holding the set in place and for movement.

Upon completion, this is where the real fun began. In Star Wars, destroyer droids would roll from one place to another and upon stopping; it would jump up and unfurl itself. That's actually what the set does! We can roll the droid on the floor and upon hitting itself against the floor (on a lever), it will unfurl itself, jump up and be ready to fight. That is so… awesome! Even my elder daughter (6 yo) was playing with it rolling it to unfurl the droid.

But the unfurling doesn’t happen every time because it has to hit a lever just at the right spot for the process to happen. But when it happens, it just so awesome!

Like I said before, the magic is in all the rubber bands that work in tandem. And I never built a set with so many rubber bands before. Normally, big sets are awesome because it their sheer size and level of detail. But playability can sometimes be low. This set is relatively small and it’s hard to imagine that it has over 500+ parts and yet it is so much fun to play with after the build.

The designer should really get an award because the level of detail and realism is so high and its so close-to-life in the movies. It’s almost unbelievable. And I can imagine the designer spending sleepless nights tearing his hair out on this set and making numerous trial and errors just to get it right. The end result is really very satisfying. Kudos to the designer!

In any case, I think that the Star Wars Technic series is a little under-rated, but this set certainly deserves all its praises from the reviews. As for the bad reviews, it could be due to the fact that there were amendments to the original instructions, if it wasn’t followed, the set just wouldn't work. Unfortunately, due to the mistakes, some follow-on pages had the wrong illustrations. So it was easy to make mistakes. One small error and the unfurling process just wouldn't work. Also, this set is not an easy build for me because my fingers are big and the parts are all small.

I managed to finish this set in about 3 hours over 2 nights, just slightly shorter time than building the 7676 Republic Gunship. But I must say quite a fair bit of time was taken to check and make sure I didn’t make any silly errors due to the small parts.

BTW, I checked the prices for this set MISB and realize the high prices… but I having built it, I can fully understand why it commands such a high calling price and fully deserves it. This set could just be the best Lego set ever…

• The Most Multi-Functional Set I've Ever seen!

Written by (Unspecified) in United States,

This Set is so awesome!
    When you fold it up into a ball, and roll it, it pops up and gets in attack position amazingly!
    I actually bought this set off of ebay for $32, after i read a review from this website.
    Because of this, i don't exactly know if it is a challenging build or not because the droid came built already, but from what i can see, it looks pretty challenging.
    Still, this set looks exactly like the one in the movie, and it contains no gears or chains at all, but it can still fold up and roll extremely accurately. I will say, sometimes the droid falls over in mid-roll, but if you practice rolling it a lot, it will work well.
    Overall, i totally love this set! Get it now, trust me. I rate it 10/10!

• One for the ages....

Written by (Unspecified , bronze-rated reviewer) in United States,

This is easily the most impressive design i have ever encountered in my 27 years of playing with nonstop with LEGO. Whoever designed this is a genius, and should be put to better use for the good of humanity than just designing toys. oh who am i kidding! there should be more sets on this level.

even if you dont care about starwars, the mechanical complexity and integration of all the different links will astound you. having said that, and also being a diehard starwars fan, the look of this thing is right on the money.

i was so lucky to win this set on ebay. get yours NOW! you cant have mine!!

• Awesome Set...well worth the money!

Written by (Unspecified) in ,

This set is awesome. It didn't take very long to build and it wasn't too hard (given you still want at least 4-5 years experience before) to build. It's fun to play with, too!

*Pros*
    Lots of good pieces
    Challenging to build
    Fun to play with
    Grabs attention, easily
    Plus more I havn't mentioned

*Cons*
    Sometimes won't open when rolled
    Head doesn't want to come out when it pops open

I say this set is well worth it (read the title). Highly recommended!
    10/10

1 out of 1 person thought this review was helpful.

• Destroyer Droid

Ace.

Written by (Unspecified , silver-rated reviewer) in United Kingdom,

Like all of the reviews before, this is definately not a model for beginners. I'd been building technic models since I was five and still had difficulty with this one. As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to have one. It's a truly outstanding testament to the Lego designers art, that such a complex and functioning model can be achieved without a single cog, gear or beam. It's completely made up of the sort of pieces that you find in the very small packets at the bottom of Lego boxes. A wonderful challenge to build, those who like to tax themselves should definatley get one of these. I loved it and only paid £32 when it first came out. Bargain.