The Surprise MVP of the first LOTR Release

Written by (AFOL , bronze-rated reviewer) in United States,

I'll admit, when I first saw this set I was disappointed. It seemed a little silly to reduce Weathertop––an entire hill––down to a small 430 piece set. Boy, was I wrong. This is one amazing set, combining a fun/interesting build with great playability and a cast of awesome minifigures. If you don't read any further in this review, read this: BUY THIS SET!

Minifigures

Weathertop comes with 5 minifigures: Frodo, Merry, Aragorn, and 2 Black Riders. Merry and the Black Riders are unique to this set. As usual, TLC was diabolically clever and divided all the members of the Fellowship up among several sets, so if you want Merry, you either have to buy this set, or get him second hand. Luckily––and also as usual––all of these minifigures are superb. The Black Riders come with a new cape design that looks suitably ragged and spooky; the only problem with it is this particular cape folds over the minifigure shoulders, and the fabric is just stiff enough that the cape tends to buckle upwards and push the minifigure's hood off its head. I only struggled with this when first constructing the minifigures . . . . after I'd pushed the hood back down a few times the cape softened up and it's not really an issue anymore. The Black Rider's torsos are printed front and back, and look excellent. Frodo, Merry and Aragorn all have double-printed heads with happy/angry expressions. Frodo's torso is the same as seen elsewhere. The printing on Merry and Aragorn's torsos is superb (the pattern of Merry's vest does an amazing job at capturing the movie look). The pattern of Aragorn's coat continues down his legs. In short, if you only buy this set for the minifigures, it's probably worth it.

The build

I was not expecting building Weathertop to be as fun as it was. The designers use a lot of interesting techniques to construct the rounded shapes of Weathertop. Additionally, the whole set opens up to reveal a hidden chamber which––though technically not in the book––is incredibly fun in terms of playability, and is a sort of Easter Egg reference to the Barrow Downs that Frodo and his companions explore in the book.

The completed model

Despite it's small size, the finished model looks great, and does a surprisingly good job of looking like a ruined fortress while still being durable enough to move around and play with.

Overall opinion

I pretty much already said it, but: go buy this set. You won't regret it. This is one of the most iconic moments in the movie and book, and the set does an admirable job of bringing it to life. I don't think this set is being produced any longer, but if you catch a deal on Ebay, take advantage of it.

• Attack On Weathertop

Attack on Weathertop, a great set to start the fellowship collection.

Written by (AFOL , gold-rated reviewer) in Netherlands,

Overall 5 bricks: My first big Lord of the Rings set is a great one to start with. The set offers the 2 main characters, Frodo and Aragorn, 2 Nazguls with new horses and Merry. A great collection of bricks with for me a lot of new parts and a great result when you finished building. In my opinion this set has really no weak points I can think of. My only comment is the price but that is "normal" with licensed theme's, I waited some time until I bought it with a good discount. But expensive or not, eventually it is for Castle fans a must have.

Building 5 bricks: Great fun building this set with for me some new techniques on how to built a round tower. Bags are numbered so a simple building sequenze for this set. No big wall parts, but old fashioned brick by brick building. First the front part with small gate and second the backpart of "Weathertop", after that you built the first floor of this small ruin. When finished and clicked together simply a great result both opened and closed with also a nice interior !

Parts 5 bricks: Hard to mention all the good parts but the minifigures of course are outstanding as are the new horses. Overall a great mix of colors and some great parts like the stairs, the bricks with masonry profile, the 4 grey microfigures, the new weapons in different colors and a hugh amount of accesoires. A great surprise were 2 extra Rings !!

Playability 5 bricks: What can I say, you can re-live the movie already with this set. It has all great features and figures for hours of fun, even for an AFOL like me. 5 Bricks with a bonus here.

Value 3 bricks: I know licensed theme's are more expensive but in my opinion the official retail price in Holland being €70,00 is a bit too much. Like said before, I waited for a good discount and got it for €45,00 which is my opinion a good price for 430 part set. I think a normal retail price of €55,00 would be reasonable here but still it's worth having it.

The Ruin of Amon Sul

Written by (TFOL , gold-rated reviewer) in United States,

While travelling to Rivendell Frodo, Strider, and the other hobbits were attacked on the ruin of Amon Sul, otherwise known as Weathertop. This was one of the most important and memorable scenes from the movie (and book). Likewise, this model is also one of the most important and best sets of its theme.

Box/Instructions

The box is nicely made clearly displaying the action and drama of the scene with a fitting background behind.

The parts selection in this set are fantastic. We get lots of rare earth colors including dark green and dark tan. We also get several of the new engraved 1x2 bricks to make it look more weathered. However, in this set we get them in tan, unlike in the Helm's Deep and Uruk-hai Army sets. Also included are 4 solid light grey microfigures which look awesome as statues. Another rare addition are the winding staircase pieces. Some of my favorite pieces in this set though are the hinge pieces which come in abundance. They are used to give the structure its round shape. Plus all the minifig accessories are great too.

Minifigures

Being a midsized set we get several minifigs, 5 to be exact. Like some of my other reviews I'll start with the good guys:

Frodo: You can't really have a Weathertop set without him. Frodo comes in his brown suit jacket with a red vest and a green cape, accurate to the movie. He has a little back printing but nothing too incredibly exciting there. His head come double-sided. On one side we see his "tired" face while on the other we see his "Ow, I've just been stabbed by a Morgul blade" expression. His dark brown hair piece is the same one we get with Frodos in other sets. He comes with 3 One Rings as well as Sting. (Extra Note: At this point in the story Frodo didn't have Sting yet. Bilbo would later give it to him in Rivendell. LEGO should have given him a normal short sword)

Aragorn (Strider): Aragorn looks suitably like the weather worn ranger that he his with his scruffy face and worn out clothes. His legs are printed to match his torso. There's a few printed wrinkles on the back but nothing extraordinary. His head is double-sided. One face is "neutral" while the other is his "fighting" face. Really close observers will notice that he has the necklace that Arwen would later give him. That really isn't 100% accurate but it's not worth printing a different one. He comes with a sword and a flaming torch to battle the Ringwraiths.

Merry: Merry looks exactly like he did in the movie with his red hair, green jacket, and yellow waistcoat. If you look close you can see the printed designs in his waistcoat which looks fantastic. He has a double sided head like Frodo and Aragorn. One side is "neutral" while the other is "fighting/scared".

Ringwraiths (Nazgul): The Ringwraiths are unique to this set and that makes Attack on Weathertop a must have for the LotR completest (Merry is also exclusive by the way). Their torso is a new print with folds in their black cloak as well as a belt (which is also black except for the buckle). On the back side of their torso are some more printed folds. Their heads are plain black (as they should be) and their hoods are too. But the really cool thing about these guys are their capes which are completely new. Unlike most LEGO capes these ones have three holes in them to make them more accurate as well as more scary. They're bigger too, instead of having two holes that slide on top of the torso there are three. Some complained that their hoods popped off from this and I experienced the same thing. However, having having them for a while I'm not experiencing that problem any more. They also come with a dark grey sword and a new black horse. LEGO has made these horses more menacing by printing red eyes on their head which stand out and look really cool.

...

The build

The build itself is quite fun, especially when working on the round part of the model. It may have just been the lighting in the room but sometimes it was hard to tell apart the greens, greys, and blacks in the instructions. Even though I've built trap doors before this one was fun, mainly because it is built in a new way which works a lot better.

The completed model

The model itself looks extremely well done, even though it is undersized. LEGO has added play features to it which are not accurate to the movie (or the books) but make it more appealing to younger kids. For the purist who may be concerned about this don't worry. You hardly notice the flick-fire missiles and the trap door pin can be easily covered up. In conclusion: This set is one of my favorites. It has great playability, wonderful minifigs, and works wonderfully as a display. There's just one problem. $60 (USD) is just way too much for only 430 pieces, as wonderful as they may be. $40 would have been better, $50 would have been OK, but $60? Too much. If it wasn't for the price this may have been one of my favorite sets.

Summary

All in all, this is a great set, except for its price. It looks great and is lots of fun. If money is no object to you I wouldn't hesitate buying this set. But if money is an object I would still seriously consider getting it.

Ringwraiths. Gotta Love Them Ringwraiths

Written by (AFOL , gold-rated reviewer) in United States,

To begin, I am obsessed with the Ringwraiths from LOTR. I don't know why, but they intrigue me and have always been both creepy and awesome at the same time. And now, I finally own one (well two actually!) That is the sole reason i purchased this set and honestly, I wasn't expecting much more out of it. However, I was blown away. This set is superb and a very interesting and innovative build with unique methods that sell the watchtower look. I love the weathered bricks and the moss coming out of the fortress that give the illusion of aging. Also, I enjoyed seeing the micro-figures being put to different use in the form of statuettes.

The campsite in the front is also excellently detailed and a perfect fit with enough accessories to keep the fun going. The staircase is also superbly designed with hinges and studs to lock the pieces in place to ensure that they don't sway around. I'd also like to note that there is a nice amount of space on top of the fortress for the Ringwraiths and the heroes to battle. The trap door is a nice feature too that locks into place and is level with the rest of the upper story. However, my only complaint is the peg that holds the door in place, as it looks too protruding and out of place when you turn the set around.

The little rock-moss-bush piece is cool too, but I don't really understand its purpose. The minifigures are easily the draw of this set, as it is the only way to obtain the iconic Ringwraiths. Aragorn is truly awesome. He is very well detailed and movie accurate and I'd like to note that his coat transitions nicely from torso piece to torso piece. His hair is perfect and I love the dual sided expressions. The hobbits are fantastic too, even though they annoyed the hell out of me in the movie. They are nicely detailed and the new hairpiece is perfect for they're shaggy look. (Actually it's perfect for me because I can finally make an accurate SIGFIG of myself with the new hairpiece from Frodo) Merry is also nicely detailed and I love the Hobbits' new swords, especially Frodo's. Speaking of swords, the new long swords (could they be Claymores?) are beautiful.

They are excellently designed and nicely streamlined to make any character look mighty. Now, on to the true attracttion: the Ringwraiths. They are truly awesome creatures and although they are not extremely detailed, they truly capture the look of their movie counterparts. The ragged cape cloak give them a spooky look and ghostly feel. The cape actually is angled back to give them a flowing appearance while also allowing them to mount the horses without the cape being crammed into the saddle or forcefully bent. This adds to the ghostly look and captures the image even more. The head is somewhat of a paradox given the fact that Lego minifigures must have a head to hold a head accessory, yet

Ringwraiths are faceless creatures with a hood that floats. I really can't argue with Lego's decision to place a black head, as a clear head would have given it an odd look since the head peg would be visible. Also, a head with printing would have been a bad move since the Ringwraiths literally have nothing there. Nevertheless, it works and the Ringwraiths are awesome minifigures. I want to state that these are the first minifigures in a while that actually look like minifigures.

In an age of Hulks, Wampas, Arc Troopers, Boba Fetts, and Iron Men, it seems as though Lego minifigures are becoming less and less like block people and more and more like limited mobility action figures. Dear Lego, it's okay if your block people look like block people. Sincerely, old school Lego fans worldwide. Anyway, all and all, this set is phenomenal and an excellent build, yet beware the price as this is a little steep.

Aside from that, this set is a masterpiece and a testament to the fact that Lego can indeed still innovate while keeping things true to the original Lego formula.

Nazgul! Two of them!

Written by (AFOL , silver-rated reviewer) in Australia,

This has to be my favourite set. For starters, it has Nazgul! Two of them! Not to mention Merry and Aragorn. The structure is so detailed, and is very well designed. The exterior looks fantastic: the mix of colours works great and the curvature around the back is a great feature – it’s only a shame that it is hidden at the back, but it’s a nice change from sets that couldn’t look better from the front, and couldn’t look any worse from behind. The arches are cool, but I can’t go past the micro-figs from the Lego games: to have them included as small statues is, I think, genius. They are my favourite little design feature of the set.

And if this wasn’t enough, it opens up to reveal more inside! In one half there are two more micro-fig statues and a weapons rack, which includes another hobbit sized sword and a spear. There are two more torches and a mouse. In the other half is a strange black table thing that doesn’t seem to serve any purpose at all, except maybe adding to the mystery of Weathertop? But even in that it fails, because the biggest mystery of Weathertop is: Why are there flick-fire missiles

? Where they in the extended edition and I just missed them? Until these questions are answered, I refused to build them. I rotated the black 1x1 pieces 90degrees so that the solid sides are showing and I have left it at that, because flick-fire missiles and Weathertop are to things that I believe should not be mixed. Not matter how many Nazgul are attacking.

Flick-fire missiles aside, there are plenty of other awesome features to make up for it. The trap door works surprisingly well, as the lever you pull to release the trap door also resets it so that you don’t have to do it manually, which is always a bonus. But the biggest thing I was impressed with was the stairs: they don’t wobble and spin around, something that has provided me with endless frustration in the Harry Potter sets. They still move a little, but for the most part they are held in place which is brilliant!

As good as the structure is, the minifigures are better. Included with the set is another Frodo in standard travelling clothes. He has a double sided head with what I call his Pre-Stabbed face and his Post-Stabbed face. The second Hobbit included is my personal favourite of the Hobbitses, Merry. His gold waistcoat has a wonderful swirly pattern with bulging buttons (perhaps he should move away from the cooking fire). But for me it is his smirk that I like best, and because of this smirk, I believe it is Merry who best reflects the actor he portrays. Defending the Hobbits is Strider (Aragorn). Lego once again blew me away with their intricate details on this mini-figure. I was pleasantly surprised to see the Evenstar Arwen gave Aragorn around his neck. But the Nazgul are my favourite. I wasn’t expecting them to have front and back printing, due to their cloaks, but they do, which is nice. Unfortunately one of my Nazgul cloaks mustn’t have been aligned right when they were hole punched as two of the three holes were incomplete, forcing me to resort to my [lack of] sewing skills. After only 20 minutes and 3 pricked fingers I had two magnificent Nazgul riding wonderfully evil steeds (complete with red eyes!) around my desktop.

This has to be my favourite set of all the incredible new sets. I’m not sure exactly why this one stands out to me, as they all feature impressive details, but something has just drawn me to it from the start.