• Infearno Interception

Definitely more than meets the eye

Written by (TFOL) in United Kingdom,

I bought this set after going through a Lego Catalogue wondering what to spend my money on. As a fan of the previous Lego Agents series from 2008 this theme looked different and this set caught my eye. Infearno and his flaming hover board looked cool and as the set was a reasonable price I bought the set.

Box/Instructions

The box is made from a thicker cardboard than others I have bought prior to this set. The back of the box advertises the free interactive story app and the functions that the set includes for playability.

The instructions are made from the usual paper so nothing new here. There is another advert for the free app toward the back. The instructions are fairly easy to follow as the pieces for each step are shown in the box above the image.

When I opened the 2 numbered bags I noticed that the set contained 313 pieces which was a good amount for the RRP of £24.99. I was pleased to see that there were some printed parts. Then I discovered the sheet of 5 stickers which annoyed me as I would rather have printed rather than stickered bricks.

Minifigures

The set contains 2 minifigures one of which is exclusive to that set (Infearno). Both of the figures had new printing on the head, torso and legs. Solomon Blaze is the only one to have printing on the back of the head.

The build

Building the model was relatively easy until it came to adding the pipe parts on the side. I had to squash the ends of the pipes slightly to allow it to bend around the pin and fit to the parts properly without popping off.

The completed model

The completed model looked hugely better than expected and the functions also exceeded my expectations of them. The car can fit in my custom built cit which is great and Infearno fits in with the previous Lego Agents villains.

Overall opinion

This set is a great one and Lego has done an amazing job here. The only problem I have is with the stud shooters that are with every set. I am more of a designer than a person who plays with it like it shows on the box.

• The Piece of Resistance

[FR] polybag de luxe

Written by (Parent) in France,

Voici un polybag plutôt extra ! Habituellement, les polybags offrent des personnages bonus ou une expérience jouabilité/construction limitée. Ce n'est absolument pas le cas ici.

33 pièces, cela commence à être bien intéressant lorsqu'on considère que ce sachet est, à la base, offert. On y construit donc ce petit rocher bien détaillé où est incrustée la pièce de résistance.

Mais la jouabilité a aussi été prévue ! On peut faire exploser un pan du rocher pour faire apparaître le pièce de résistance. Non seulement c'est ingénieux mais en plus on peut ainsi recréer la scène où démarre l'aventure de The Lego Movie !

Le personnage d'Emmet est standard, avec double visage. On note la encore deux détails : l'attache pour que la pièce de résistance se "colle" à lui et une tasse.

Bref, un chouette polybag !

• The Milano Spaceship Rescue

"That's for if you want to blow up moons or something".....

Written by (TFOL) in United States,

I picked this set up back in August from the Lego store in Nashville, and built to that night. This set is absolutely one of the best, if not the best, sets in the Marvel theme, and one of the best sets of 2014.

Box/Instructions

The box, in all of its cardboard glory, doesn't even scratch the tip of the iceberg for how great this set is, but tries. (On the box it looks a lot smaller) The box shows the Milano fighting the Necrocraft, and Star Lord battling Ronan. (Which, for the record, never happened in the movie) It shows multiple, but not all of the features in the set on the back, and has the actual cast of the film on the side, with their Lego comic alter-egos in the top right corner of the front.

The set has over 650 bricks and pieces in it, and contains quite a few pieces in new yellow/ orange colors. (Although some may have appeared in Chima sets) It also has the new spring loaded missiles, along with the new stud-firing guns, and the specially molded Star Lord and Sakaraan guns. There are many large pieces for the ship, like the technic plating in back,and the large wing pieces too, along with a large transparent blue canopy windshield. The set has the dark grey round-bottomed pieces that appear under the hull of every other Marvel ship, (see 6869 and 76022) and also has large pices with transparent ones inside or under them to portray jet thrusters. There are also a ton of blue and grey pieces, and make for a great assortment of bricks.

Minifigures

There is a cast of characters in this set, with three exclusive minifigures and one variant, along with the Sakaraan, who appears in every other Guardians of the Galaxy set this year.

Star Lord/ Peter Quill: This variant of the ex-criminal turned hero has his jacket closed, unlike the one from 76019, which has an open jacket and a satchel. Perosnally, I like the one from 76019 better. This version looks a little uptight, but he's still cool. He has his red leather jacket one, along with matching pants, and can have either his head, which is double sided (one smirking face with stubble, one angry face with stubble) or can wear his signature helmet from the movie, with rumpled orange hair on top. But he's not the best character in the set.

Drax "the Destroyer": This minifgure, who is possibly one of the greatest and most detailed minifigures of all time, looks like a walking Day of the Dead clebration. He has multiple Lego skull head tattoos all over, along with many swirls and lines of the red tattoos that cover his grey skin. His head, which is also grey with tattoos, has a normal solemn expression on it, and his pants are that of Quill and Gamora in the set. He comes with two grey Bowie knives.

Gamora: Another minifugre exclusive to this set is the adopted daughter of Thanos, Gamora. She has green skin, and shares the common female hair with Lego Marvel Super Heroes theme predecessor Black Widow, only hers is black with a pink stripe. She has a reversible head, with one side smiling and the other raging and prepped for battle. Her torso is her red leather jacket and grey stripes, and she, just like Drax and Peter Quill, shares the legs with maroon and grey stripes to match the suit. She is equipped with two silver ninja swords.

Ronan the Accuser: The pawn of Thanos and Kree enthusiast Ronan makes his Lego debut in this set, and wields a gigantic hammer for crushing minifigures who get in his way. He dons a black cape and special helmet, one made just for his character with dark grey and black linings and color. His torso is a chain-mail like armor, with what appears to be the blood of his former adversaries or sacrifices on it, and he also has blue hands, as his skin and face are blue. On his face, there is a marking to represent a strap to hold his helmet, and also heavy black markings that look like eyeliner. He is a great minifigure for any Marvel collector like myself.

The Sakaraan: This alien warrior of Ronan's makes an appearance in this et, being one of three. He dons a black hood, and his detailed alien armor and face rival even the 2012 Chatauri, making a great minifugre. One side has one eye open, and the other has both white eyes owed open and angry. He wears what appears to be a dark grey set of armor, and wears a dark grey and black mask over his mouth. He also comes with a custom gun, which is really nice, and has spots for a stud on each side of it.

The build

The build took me juts under an hour and a half, with the time for each bag going down with the last few. It is not very challenging, but does require a bit of expertise in some parts to form weird angles, like with the wings and wingtips in the back. The set's hardest parts would be the inside detail, or the wing build. Also, there are quite a few stickers that go with this set, which are a bit unfavorable. The time lapse itself may vary for different experienced builders.

The completed model

As I said before, the box doesn't do it justice. As a matter of fact, it rather undersells it. It is actually much bigger than it seems. I saw it at the store on display, which actually sold it for me, but we don't all have that opportunity. The ship itself is about as big as the 2012 Quinjet, and has a lot of playability features. It has a very detailed inside featuring seating for four, and includes a stereo system, a couple of spots for weapons, (I actually discovered the spots for Gamora's swords a couple weeks later, as they are practically hidden in back above the radio) and also has a nice pilot seat, with a computer control panel. There are also hidden missiles underneath the wings, and lowering stud-firing guns in the front. Many of the wingtips and plates lower and raise in the back, and can be adjusted manually. Whenever you want.

Overall opinion

As with many Marvel sets, my verdict is yes, get it. But this set is over the top. It touches base on a lot of great points, and as I said: it's one of the best sets of 2014. The minifgure selection is amazing, and the features included in the set are hard to rival. The size of the model is great for the price, and the instructions are pretty easy to follow step by step. You also get three out of five of the Guardians of the Galaxy, which is perfect for collectors. The special pieces in the set are also good for collectors who are into that sort of thing. The set also looks nice on display. I love this set, and I think you will too.

• The Mine

Great Set to get back into Lego proper

Written by (AFOL) in Germany,

So I have been getting back into Lego bricks recently after discovering my old Lego Train Set and building it for my kid.

As a fan of Minecraft as well as Lego I was hyped to get one of these.

My local Lego store had all the Minecraft Sets already in store. Maybe it is due to the fact that they were celebrating their 1 year anniversary.

Box/Instructions

The box design is awesome and the instructions are printed on a higher quality paper. Overall giving a very polished impression.

As many have already stated online the set consists mostly of basic blocks.

Although my only gripe is that there is a whole lot of gray tiles but I guess that is to be expected with the mine setting.

Minifigures

The Minifigures are awesome and very Minecrafty. Some would argue that the arms are'nt blocky but I don't mind really.

There is Steve with iron armor, iron pickaxe and iron helmet.

A Creeper, a Skeleton with a bow, an awesome Spider as well as a Zombie

The build

It was very Enjoyable for me to build as it is the first proper Set I own since quite a few years.

The completed model

Oh my does it look awesome. The set offers quite some verticality. With the awesome minecart tracks it is somewhat deep too. So it looks and plays really great. With different layers to play and explore.

The only major gripe I have is with the chest which isn't blocky at all with its rounded curves and handles and the ladder.

Overall opinion

Overall this set exactly grasps the concept of Minecraft for me and translates it to Minecraft.

I do like the Minecraft Micro builds but this is something entirely different. It was well worth the high asking price for me.

• Trevi Fountain

A great set and an enjoyment to build

Written by (AFOL) in United Kingdom,

I had the opportunity to pick up one of the latest sets in the Lego Architecture range this past weekend, and it was one that I'd had my eye on since it had been released as I am a huge fan of Rome and it's sights - I had to have it in my collection!

Box/Instructions

The box is the typical type for the Architecture range, and I like them. Very smart and strong box. The instruction manual came in at around 140 pages in book form, with a few pages at the beginning giving a brief history of the fountain. I like the books from a presentation point of view, but it can be a bit fiddly when trying to keep the page open and fnd the parts you need. As it was, I managed to open the book a bit too much and break the binding near the back *sob*. The instructions themselves are broken down very well into good small chunks, so that anyone can approach them without it being too complicated.

731 parts makes it a pretty substantial model to build. The only fairly rare pieces I think are the small 'statue' pieces that were included, I don't believe there were any unique pieces here.

Minifigures

No minifigures with this model.

The build

I'm not a fast builder, so the build probably took me about two and a half hours altogether. The majority of the pieces are small; there's a lot of 1x1s and 2x1s which can be quite fiddly to put together. There are still a few bigger pieces though, particularly around the base. It was a very enjoyable build however and I had fun putting it together.

The completed model

The complete model looks as good as it can do for one this size (the size is decent) - I am very impressed with how good it looks and very pleased with the outcome. The general detail is very good, and I thought the horses were a nice touch.

Overall opinion

Very, very good. A great model at this price point, and I am really pleased with the outcome and whole process. The designer has done a great job in capturing the shape and detail of the fountain and it's one that I am really happy to put on display in the house. It doesn't have a huge amount if 'playability', but I don't expect it to. This doesn't detract from the model at all for me.

Now I just need to get some Lego coins to throw into the fountain...