• CHI Fluminox

A PHOENIX!!!!!!

Written by (KFOL) in United States,

I really love all the shiny clear parts on Fluminox. My favorite feature is the way the wings pop up when you pull down or up on the tube. I also like the chest plate where you can really store an orb of fire Chi. His weapon is also really cool because of the way it looks like he's REALLY firing it. The Technic part on it looks like a real string.

Box/Instructions

I liked the foil bag because you can store Fluminox in it. The instructions were just like any other Lego instructions.

The parts on this model are some of the best parts I've ever seen in my 5+ years of Lego experience.

The build

A really cool build because of the way they only put a little bit of Technic parts on the actual figure. The joints are tight and with this new style they don't crack like Bionicles.

The completed model

The best action figure that Lego has done so far!

Overall opinion

Overall, I think that this is a really nice model and I can't wait to see him on the TV show!

• Batman: The Penguin Face off

A Great Gift For Any Batman Fan!

Written by (KFOL) in United States,

I think I picked this up close to Easter time and thought it was great.

Box/Instructions

The box is fairly small even for a $13 set and the instructions are small as well. And for sticker haters, there are NO stickers! :D

No exclusive or hard to find parts are included but I still think the pieces were well chosen.

Minifigures

Scuba Batman- the second Batman to not include a cape and the third to not have a Batarang, this Batman features his very own diver suit complete with oxygen tank, flippers, harpoon gun, an oxygen mask and a stylish dark blue color.

Penguin- now sporting grey trousers and a warm fur coat, this Penguin means buisness with a remote to control his dynamite-carrying RoboBirds.

The build

The build isn't that exciting but most small sets don't have that anyway.

The completed model

It looks really nice when its finished. I like the Penguin's duck boat and that it's a nod to Batman Returns, but I gotta say I am dissapointed that they didn't redesign the penguin submarine. :(

Overall opinion

I think this is a great gift for any Bat-fan! I rate this #7 on the Best DC Comics Sets list.

• Batman: Arkham Asylum Breakout

An Excellent Redesign!

Written by (KFOL) in United States,

When I saw this on the lego shop site a couple of years ago, I could barely resist it. It was just amazing and I knew it was important to pick it up. I eventually got it for Christmas with the Batcave, which made twice as awesome.

Box/Instructions

The box is huge (maybe even bigger then the one for the new tumbler) and it includes 3 instruction booklets.

The parts were chosen really well for this and mostly includes many small pieces for the decorational architecture.

Minifigures

The minifigures are great! I love the redesign for Penguin, Scarecrow, and Robin. Dr. Harleen Quinzel has a pretty nice design with her double-sided head, one side of which features her makeup and eye mask. Poison Ivy isn't any different from the 2012 version and the guard is the same as the bank guard. Batman has the same black suit but with black gliding wings.

The build

It's a fun build. First you build the van, then you build the gate, and finally the asylum. The Asylum is split into three detachable sections so you can rearrange it into a different asylum. First you build the entrance where the front desk and medical treatment room are, then you build the side with all the prison cells, and then finally you build the smallest section where Harleen Quinzel's office and make-up mirror are. I think it took me about 2 to 6 hours to complete. I remember starting late at night and building back and forth while playing scrabble, and then working on it the next morning and maybe late afternoon.

The completed model

The completed model looks fantastic.

Issues

1. Why are there name plates for Freeze and Ivy for the bottom cells when the have their own special ones

2. Only one guard and he is the exact same as the bank guard.

3. No searchlight on roof.

4.And my biggest issue, NO FIREFLY INCLUDED!!

My overall opinion

Its a really nice set and a must-have for any Bat-fan! (even if Firefly isn't included) And I rank this #1 on the Best DC Comics Sets list.

• Police Headquarters

A nice set, with a decent storyline.

Written by (KFOL) in United Kingdom,

I got this set about 6 years ago, for my birthday, the year I started collecting LEGO.

Box and Instructions

The box is large in dimensions, being around 65 x 38 x 9 cm. The instructions are large and thick.

Some of the parts in this set are a little ahead in time, so still appear today, such as the front window in the tower (487242), the speakers (4223633), the keys (4287814) and the baseplates (4269651 and 4507668).

Minifigures

7 minifigures are provided - 2 Criminals, 4 Policemen and 1 Police Sergeant.

Building

The build is fun in some parts, and takes about 2-3 hours.

Price

The price is very good for the set, with PPP (Price Per Piece) being around 7p / 9c.

Overall...

Overall, this is a great set, with a few little surprise mechanisms and a great overall look. :-)

1 out of 1 person thought this review was helpful.

• Research Institute

A fantastic new theme for Lego

Written by (AFOL , bronze-rated reviewer) in New Zealand,

As soon as I saw this set heading for Project Review I hoped that it would be accepted by Lego.

It was the astronomy theme that hooked me.

I was drawn to the originality of this Idea and impressed that it was not based on a licensed theme.

Box/Instructions

There is something special about the Ideas box. It is printed black inside which makes it seem different than regular Lego boxes.

The instruction book is also of a superior quality. It is a stapled booklet printed on better quality paper.

The first page introduces Ellen Kooijman (Alatariel), the designer of this Ideas set with a good photo of her working in her laboratory.

It was Ms Kooijman's aim to "increase the overall number of female Lego figures and to make them more interesting as charcters." I believe she has successfully achieved this with her Research Institute set.

I have placed a male minifigure as a research assistant in the vignettes.

Chemist

The first vignette is that of a chemist. It has a lab bench with draws and a cupboard filled with equipment.

The bench has stands for chemical bottles, glasses and pipettes.

These pages of the instructions have a couple of organic chemical chains as the watermark.

Paleontologist

The second vignette is a paleontologist.

This comes with a microscope and a dinosaur skeleton. I call this a Legosaurus rex (Rex is latin for king, Regina is queen).

I like the brick built dinosaur.

I have spent a day building a Tricerablocks and Ptechnicdactyl.

There is a Triceratops and Tyrannosaurus rex in the watermark on these instruction pages.

Astronomer

The astronomer has a alt/azimuth telescope and a smart board showing several constellations.

Embedded in the telescope is a sextant. Until quite recently, I didn't know that Lego had a sextant piece.

I teach celestial navigation which is the art of using a sextant and chronometer to determine your geographic position. It is a dying art and has largely been made redundant due to GPS however there is some satisfaction in being able to demonstrate this skill.

For once, I was not expecting a piece to be printed. The smart board has Gemini (the twins), Canis Minor (lesser dog), Auriga (the charioteer), Taurus (the bull) and Orion (the hunter) constellations printed on it. I use Stellarium, a free open source planetarium for your computer to project celestial information in the classroom similar to the way it is shown in this set.

I will be purchasing several 4x4 plates with four knobs from Pick a Brick so that I have some different constellations to display. I will make my own sticker graphics to match the theme in this set.

I feel that the telescope in this set is not befitting a role at a research institute. I have spent a day trying to make some other examples of telescopes. It is somewhat difficult to make tripods with Lego at the minifigure scale. Here is an attempt to make a equatorial mount.

A common low cost telescope is a Dobsonian telescope designed by John Dobson.

The instruction pages for the astronomer has two constellations as a watermark, Ursa Major (big bear) and Ursa Minor (little bear). These are sometimes known as Big and Little Dipper. Ursa Minor contains Polaris, the pole star

The build

I have really enjoyed this build. I have enjoyed creating dinosaurs and have several designs in mind. It has so much potential.

There is a Fossil Museum on Lego Ideas that would clearly compliment this set.

The completed model

I hope that this set will be the catalyst for a new theme for Lego. I feel that this is the starting point for a Research Institute or University building. As this must include a observatory, the building should not be in the city due to the effects of light pollution.

The Research Institute could be modeled on the California Academy of Sciences in the Golden Gate Park, San Francisco.

This could be the start of a modular Park theme for Lego.

Overall opinion

This is a great set. I hope Lego use this open source Ideas process to design future sets. I think it has more potential as it is not linked to any other license and therefore will draw in a larger audience.

How to have fun with plastic dinosaur toys

While it is not Lego, someone has had some fun with a little plastic dinosaur toy and I think it fits in with this theme.

The Institute of Geological and Nuclear Sciences (GNS Science), is New Zealand’s leading provider of Earth, geoscience and isotope research. Their purpose is to understand natural Earth system processes and resources.

GNS Science have live web cams on White Island, an active volcano in the Bay of Plenty, on New Zealand's east coast.

Since May 2004, there has been a pink toy dinosaur glued in front of the live web cam on the crater floor giving a real time live Jurassic view of the island. This dinosaur is still visible after 10 years.