• Battle on Saleucami

Let the Battle Begin

Written by (TFOL) in Finland,

This is my favourite of the 2014 winter sets. I knew immediately I wanted this. It is great value for money: you get 5 minifigures, 2 speeders and an interesting scenery. (Scenery is not something you got in every LEGO set).

Box/Instructions

It´s in a quite small, standard box. Instructions were easy to follow. Nothing special to say here.

The scenery contains some interesting and exclusive parts. The speeders does not have anything very interesting parts but there is the spring-loaded shooter in the BARC speeder.

Minifigures

For droid army builders this is the set you are looking for. Yes, it isn´t as amazing as the 2007 MTT but it´s a nice and quite cheap way to get some droids. It comes with two super battle droids and one standard battle droid. Those three have own standing platforms that is nice (The droids easily fall without than kind of things and it can be very annoying to put them stand once and once again). In the set there is also a battle droid with straight arms for the STAP. The only exclusive minifigure is Commander Neyo. He has a cool helmet and red color on his arms,

The build

This was an easy one to build. My favorite part was building the scenery because it was kind of a new thing.

The completed model

This is a set for play more than for display. You can play a battle though commander Neyo is all alone against the droids (If you have other Clone Troopers, they would be needed). BARC speeder has a sticker with battle droid head, I think Neyo has counted there droids that he has destroyed. STAP is standard but cool.

Overall opinion

This is the best value-for-money set in years. I recommend it for droid army builders and those, who like to play with LEGOs.

• Z-95 Headhunter

PONG KRELL And A Great Ship

Written by (TFOL) in Finland,

This set is one of the Umbarran theme sets released in 2013. The others were AT-RT and Umbarran MHC (Mobile Heavy Cannon).

Box/Instructions

Box is quite big and the instructions were easy to follow.

In the ship there is not a lot of exclusive parts but a few really interesting ones. Most of the parts are either white or red.

Minifigures

This set comes with three minifigures: Pong Krell, 501st legion Clone Trooper and Clone Pilot (501st legion also). The main reason I bought this set was Pong Krell. His headpiece is great and he is a good add to my Jedi collection. 501st legion Clone is also a good idea (an other 501st legion Clone Trooper appears in the AT-RT set), but it´s hard to get any kind of "legion" of them if there is just one clone in the set. I would prefer one or two more 501st legion clone troopers to this set. It would be good also thinking about value for money, because this is a little pricey (65 euros in Finland). 501st Clone Pilot is great, new character. He has a complete new helmet.

The build

Building this was quite easy. The too wings were of course a little bit repetitive but that wasn´t too bad thing.

The completed model

Headhunter looks cool on display and is okay for play also. It´s not breaking too easily and if it breaks, it´s not that hard to fix. I have to say it´s quite big, bigger than I thought.

Overall opinion

This is a good set with interesting minifigures and cool ship. I recommend it for all SW collectors, not just CW collectors, because the ship looks so cool on display.

• Anakin Skywalker and Sebulba's Podracers

The Boonta Eve Classic is ready to begin

Written by (TFOL) in Finland,

The new versions of the great Podracers!

Box/Instructions The box is big. The instructions were quite easy to follow.

Parts This comes with a lot exclusive and interesting parts. There is even the possibility to create your own podracer with these pieces. For other MOCs this is not the best set.

Minifigures New versions of Watto and Sebulba are great with their details. Anakin is nice and kind of must because there is his podracer but otherwise its not a must-have minifigure if you have the earlier pilot Anakin already. Obi-Wan is a little weird add to this set, because he wasn´t watching the Podrace. Gui-gon would be better and Shmi Skywalker the best choice. Wald is a great new minifigure.

The build When I bought this I thought that the Podracers would be difficult to build and maybe breaking easily. I was wrong, it wasn´t to hard to build and it´s not an easily-breaking one.

The completed model The Podracers are great for display and I think nice for play though there are not loads of ways to play with them.

Overall opinion A Great set for Episode 1 collectors and fans as me. I recommend this.

• Republic Gunship

"Begun the Clone War Has"

Written by (TFOL) in Finland,

This is the third version of the Republic Gunship and my first. I missed the earlier versions and was happy when this third version came out.

Box/Instructions Box was big and after building this I could put my smaller complete LEGO things in it. Istructions were in two parts as usually in the big sets.

Parts Parts are mostly white and standard. There are a few interesting ones also.

Minifigures This comes with seven minifigures. The two Super Battle Droids were a nice add to my droid army. Clones are also good though the gunship would need a Clone Pilot more. It is not that bad if you have Clone Pilots from other sets. Obi-Wan is nicely detailed Episode 2 version as is Anakin and Padmé. Padmé is a nice add also because she doesn´t appear in a lot of sets.

The build Building took quite a lot of time and I built this for many days, not many hours in a row, though.

The completed model You can put a lot of Clone Troopers into the Gunship as in the Episode 2 when Master Yoda arrives with the Clones. In the gunship there is also a little speeder.

Overall opinion This is a good set for Episode 2 collectors and other SW fans.

• Tripod Invader

Good Enough To Make Me Want To Spend 10 Minutes Writing A Review

Written by (AFOL) in United States,

This is my first Alien Conquest set. I found it at a local LEGO reseller, new in box, for $25. I'd say I got a pretty good deal, because this set is great.

Box/Instructions

Box was in really good condition considering it's 3-4 years old. I don't really care about boxes though. I did not notice any errors or ambiguity in the instructions, so that's always a plus.

Lots of unique pieces in this one. Especially the green facehugger thing. Love that guy.

There aren't many pieces in this set; they are mostly large pieces. But not the "easy start" large pieces in the new City sets (yuk). I'd never seen the lazer (yes, with a "z") beam cannon base, the round dome, or the three large pieces that form the body. I bet the lazer beam base could be used on a killer mech MOC. Also the black upper leg parts were new to me, the parts which connect it to the body, and finally the green knife-looking things on the feet.

Minifigures

Always glad to have an unfriendly lime-colored alien with an overbite.

The man's head has two sides--one where he's minding his own business, not noticing there's an alien invasion--and the grimace of abject terror when he realizes he's being taken in an alien pod to be probed.

And the facehugger hat. That's probably my best hat. Or the lizardman hat. Can't decide.

The build

My main interest in LEGO is building. I will disassemble sets just to assemble them again if the build is good. I think I may do that here.

The build was strong, but it didn't blow me away--usually I'm fascinated by Technic builds (most recently the build of 42022-1 was impressive), and this set had many of those elements.

The worm gears add great texture to the mid-leg. The feet were a bit strange (with the lime jumper and 1x1 round purple plate), I couldn't tell what's supposed to be going on there.

The completed model

This thing looks killer. Obvious "War of the Worlds" influence, plus a liberal dose of camp. It swivels around in places, and you can put a minifig in the "pod" on its butt, but I don't really fiddle with my sets after I've built them unless playing w/ my kid. It looks more expensive than it was.

My only beef is that the legs are stationary. Using a shock absorber (731c06) at the intersection of leg & foot might be cool so it could bounce around, but given the weight of the body I'm not sure how you'd accomplish bendy, spindly legs that'd stay posed.

Overall opinion

Because this set is so great, I'm going to try to get my hands on at least one more set (7052-1, which also gets great reviews) from the series. I love evil aliens, be they robots, bugs, little green men, lizard people, whatever.

When building this I was thinking, "would kids appreciate this?" and "isn't this kind of scary if you don't get the humor?" I think these are valid questions, which may be why LEGO didn't release many sets in this theme.

If you can find this, don't pass it up.