As has become customary, Huw, CapnRex101 and myself will once again be providing mini reviews of the gifts included in the three LEGO Advent Calendars this year.
I am sure you will agree, though, that the official Advent Calendars have become a bit 'samey' over the last few years, so we came up with an idea for a competition: Create an alternative LEGO Advent Calendar!
What would be in your ideal LEGO Advent Calendar? Would you use the same themes as LEGO does and create different models for them, use a different LEGO theme, or perhaps not even an official LEGO theme at all? Build your ideas and you will be in with a chance of winning one of three new 2016 sets.
We don’t expect you to create 24 related mini-models in only a few weeks, so we have decided that you only need to provide six models, which relate to one another in some way.
Here's what you need to build:
- Create six mini-models using a maximum of 20 parts each, which all need to fit into a standard LEGO Advent Calendar window, so no 8x8 plates, giant canopies, etc.
- A maximum of two of them can contain a minifigure/mini-doll. The figures can be accompanied by up to five parts as accessories.
- Each day’s gift should be a mini-model in its own right, so if it is, for example, a standalone section of wall that is later combined with something else, that is okay but we don’t want to see just six lots of 20 random bricks that form a larger model at the end.
Here's how to enter:
- Upload a maximum of three photos of your entry to the Brickset Flickr group. Please make sure that at least one of them clearly shows the six models separately.
The small print:
- Actual built models only please; no LDD submissions.
- Your entries must be “family-friendly”, so avoid any alcohol-, sex- or drugs-based subject matter and no realistic weapons. (that’s not very Christmassy anyway!)
- No custom or non-LEGO components.
- Please upload your entries by 23:59 GMT on December 24th.
- A panel of judges will evaluate the submissions, looking for creative flair and originality, among other things.
- Although we won't be judging your photographic skills, please try to light your models evenly and photograph them against a clean background.
- Winners will be announced between Christmas and the New Year.
- The judges' decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
To give you some idea of what we are after, take a look at CapnRex101's The Force Awakens models below.
If you have any questions, we will be happy to answer them in the comments.