LEGO has officially unveiled 75253 BOOST Droid Commander:
Today, the LEGO Group unveils the latest addition to its much-loved Star Wars range – and it’s something even Yoda’s Force sense didn’t see coming. The new LEGO Star Wars BOOST Droid Commander set offers all the creativity and coding fun of LEGO BOOST alongside the chance to build three of the film franchise’s most iconic droids: R2-D2; the Gonk Droid; and the Mouse Droid.
It’s the first time the LEGO BOOST coding technology has been used in a LEGO licensing product, and this time the intuitive drag-and-drop coding environment will see a complete overhaul to match the LEGO Star Wars universe. The result is a whole new play experience in which kids and parents can team up to build, code and play with the droids, then create their own Star Wars stories and battlegrounds with inspiration from 40+ interactive missions.
What’s more, every time they play with this LEGO brick galaxy of lovable droids, they will also be honing their STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Maths) skills. Skills that are ever more important for children in today’s digital world.
Julia Goldin, Chief Marketing Officer, LEGO Group, said: “We’ve been fuelling the imagination of young Padawans and Jedi Masters for twenty years and wanted to take the Force to a new level. By introducing LEGO BOOST and creative coding into the LEGO Star Wars galaxy, kids now have the chance to develop essential 21st century skills while immersing themselves in the amazing world of Droid Commanders. Our children are the problem solvers of tomorrow and STEAM skills will be essential to help them conquer the challenges of the future.”
The LEGO Star Wars BOOST Droid Commander set is the latest example of how the LEGO Group is using product innovation to help boys and girls gain vital STEAM skills like creativity, critical-thinking, problem-solving and communication – all while enjoying the thrill of playing with their favourite LEGO Star Wars characters.
Launching globally September 1, 2019 just in time to mark the upcoming release of Star Wars Episode IX, all three droids (R2-D2, Gonk Droid and Mouse Droid) are great fun to build, code and play with, and completely customisable for every child.
“These are the droids you’re looking for.”
LEGO Star Wars BOOST Droid Commander product facts:
- The set includes a color & distance sensor, interactive motor, Bluetooth (Move Hub) and 1,177 pieces – enough to build all three lovable R2-D2 robot, Gonk Droid and Mouse Droid, each coming with their own personalities, skills, and authentic Star Wars sounds and music.
- R2-D2 robot measures over 7” (20cm) high and 5” (14cm) wide. LEGO Gonk Droid measures over 7” (18cm) high, 3” (9cm) wide and 6” (16cm) long. LEGO Mouse Droid measures over 5” (14cm) high, 3” (9cm) wide and 6” (17cm) long.
- Free LEGO BOOST Star Wars app is available for selected iOS, Android and Fire smart devices. Using the app, young commanders can build the droids, insert the Bluetooth-controlled Move Hub into the droid they want to see solve each of the 40+ missions, and bring it to life using the intuitive drag-and-drop coding environment.
- Mission examples include:
- Plot a course
- Receive and decode an incoming message
- Party infiltration
- Assisting flying an X-wing
- Arena training
- Work as a load lifter
- Ready for the fighting pit
- Power droids
- Thrash sweep
- Thrash dump
- Message delivery
- Locate Rebels
Are you impressed with this set? Let us know in the comments.