As has become customary at this time of year, I like to look back on the site's usage statistics and compare them with previous years.
So, the figures from Google Analytics are as follows:
That's a 20% increase in the number of visitors compared to 2012, and a 25% increase in page views so the numbers are still going in the right direction. Compared with 2009, visitor numbers and page views are both up by over 300%.
Digging deeper into the analytics, there has been a significant increase in the numbers visiting the site who are using mobile devices, up from around 20% of the total in 2012 to 30% in 2013. That's a figure that can only increase in future.
Equally impressive is the number of new members that have signed up this year, which is averaging about 10,000 every 6 months. Last December we welcomed our 50,000 member, in June our 60,000 member and very soon we'll be welcoming the 70,000th, possibly before the year is out. Welcome to you all!
2014 will be a big year for Brickset. You might have noticed that I haven't been adding many new features to the site this year. That's because, as some of you know, I've been working on a brand new version of the site, the user interface of which has been rewritten from the ground up. The current design, introduced in 2009, wasn't much different to earlier designs, as you can see at the Wayback machine. So, it's long overdue an overhaul and I think you'll agree that it's looking a bit tired now.
One of the main reasons for the rewrite is to cater for the growing numbers of mobile users. Sure, the current site can be viewed on a phone and operated by touch, but it's not an easy or particularly pleasant experience. The new site has been built using responsive design techniques which enables it to be viewed effectively on any size of screen.
Work is just about complete and a few people are using and testing it already. After Christmas I will be inviting everyone to take a look and help with testing so that when it's launched in February, it looks great and works perfectly. So, stay tuned for more information...
Lastly, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank a few people who help with the site:
- Grahame in New Zealand who works tirelessly to keep the database up to date and accurate
- DrDaveWatford, who assists with the Amazon Bargain Watch and helps keep it current
- CapnRex101, Glenbricker, Matthew, Rocao, Kempo81, rmarkworth and Meiko for writing news and reviews and helping behind the scenes
- DrDaveWatford, Atkinsar, Matthew, Rocao and Yellowcastle for moderating the forum
- Fuelbreak, our ex-Canadian correspondent who's recently stepped down to concentrate on real life
- And finally, all of you, for visiting and contributing to the site in the form of reviews, comments and BrickLists, and for emailing us with your news. The site wouldn't be here without you, after all!
Here's to an even better 2014!